What Is Best Intel E5-2600 v4 CPU For A New TrueNas Core Build?

uberwebguru

Explorer
Final ready to build a new storage server running TrueNAS CORE using Dell R730xd with 24 + 2 2.5" SSD
It supports Intel E5-2600 v4
I am thinking buying just one E5-2699v4 but wanted to ask you guys what will be the best CPU to use for this build from the E5-2600v4 family

NugentS

MVP
One that works in the server and that you can afford.

Really, how long is a piece of string? It depends on your use case.

Etorix

Wizard
Answered here:
TL;DR Jails: Go ahead with the top multi-core CPU. Pure storage: Get less cores but the fastest clock you can find.

uberwebguru

Explorer
Answered here:
TL;DR Jails: Go ahead with the top multi-core CPU. Pure storage: Get less cores but the fastest clock you can find.
But most of the CPU almost have similar turbo clock speed
So does it really matter with base clock speed? when base at 2.2Ghz for example turbo at 3.6Ghz?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
But most of the CPU almost have similar turbo clock speed

@Etorix is correct. Turbo speed is almost useless. Modern CPU's will only run a core or two at full turbo, and ZFS plus a protocol like SMB can easily chew that up. Once you get that third or fourth thing competing for CPU, you are out of the fast turbo speeds.

I used to know where there was a chart that listed all the Intel CPU's and their maximum turbo given a certain amount of active cores. It's depressing, and I have forgotten where it is. (or just too lazy to look).

So if great fileserving performance for a small number of clients is important, you want the high base clock CPU's. If you are running lots of clients and jails, then favor the high core count CPU's.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I used to know where there was a chart that listed all the Intel CPU's and their maximum turbo given a certain amount of active cores. It's depressing, and I have forgotten
While not complete, or a vendor resource, Wikichip tends to have several of the more common ones listed.

uberwebguru

Explorer
So if great fileserving performance for a small number of clients is important, you want the high base clock CPU's. If you are running lots of clients and jails, then favor the high core count CPU's.
So safe to say going for more core counts wins for any scenario then
The NAS will be used by several virtualization server hosts
And many VMs requesting storage

JKrdtSn.png

Thinking of getting just 1 x E5-2699v4
Besides Memory, do i need to worry about what else wont fully work with just 1 CPU?
Will all hard drives or at least half of the total 24 bays work on 1 CPU?

source: https://www.microway.com/knowledge-...intel-xeon-e5-2600v4-broadwell-ep-processors/

Xeon_E5-2600v4_Theoretical_Peak_Performance.png

Xeon_E5-2600v4_CPU_L3_Cache_Size.png

Xeon_E5-2600v4_CPU_TDP_Wattage.png

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
PCIe slots are linked directly to CPU sockets. Look at the manual's mainboard block diagram to determine which things are hooked up to what CPU's. One of the reasons things like the single-socket X10SRL board are nice is because they give you more slot options.

Note that the 2699 is a 145W part and shouldn't be used on boards rated for 135W, which is "most of the server boards"

As @jgreco mentions, I have been stuck before trying to use a CPU that wants more power than the motherboard can deliver, so that is something worth noting. My FreeNAS units are bare metal and I picked the 2637v4 because of the high clock speed. I use mine only for storage, so I have hyper threading disabled and 4 cores is fine. I do have dual CPU's in each unit, but mainly just so I can use all the DRAM slots.

uberwebguru

Explorer
PCIe slots are linked directly to CPU sockets. Look at the manual's mainboard block diagram to determine which things are hooked up to what CPU's. One of the reasons things like the single-socket X10SRL board are nice is because they give you more slot options.

Note that the 2699 is a 145W part and shouldn't be used on boards rated for 135W, which is "most of the server boards"

For servers that claim support for E5-2600v3/v4, i think it is ok to expect they support the 145 watts, if they do not disclose it wont support it
I know Dell disclosed the FC430 does not support it, but most servers that claim support for E5-2600v3/v4 i dont see any disclosures so i assume they should support it

Andybluejay

Dabbler
I'm in a similar boat looking at E5-2600 v4s for an X10DRC-LN4+ media server build. Typical Plex/emby, radarr/sonarr, maybe 1-2 VMs, etc... With that in mind, go for high core count or fast clock speeds?

Still in planning stages but it's likely going to be 12x18TB (not sure on configuration yet still getting into it).