What is accessing the disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolforger

Explorer
Hi all,

I have a FreeNAS box up and running, but not in use yet.
There are no background jobs except the nightly scrub.

Yet I hear regular disk activity. A typical pattern would be a two-step seek, followed by a short burst of seek activity, every three seconds or so.
It is definitely the data disks, because the OS is running off a USB stick.

How do I find out what is responsible for the disk accesses?
I have some pretty solid Linux experience and know atop, /var/log, and friends, but I am unsure where to look first on a BSD box.
Command line is fine.

Any hints and advice appreciated!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should not be doing a scrub nightly. That should be something that happens once a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

nojohnny101

Wizard
Where is your system dataset being stored? In the GUI, check "System" -> "System Datset" -> "System Dataset Pool"

What is that set to?

RegularJoe

Patron
If you can scrub all your pool in an hour or so would that still be bad to run it every night?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not bad but way Overkill. Monthly is fine and at most every 2 weeks.

nojohnny101

Wizard
If you can scrub all your pool in an hour or so would that still be bad to run it every night?
The main point here is that a scrub is taxing on the drives and there is no reason to unnecessarily tax your drives more frequently than necessary.

Now that part of "more frequently than necessary" is a matter of opinion. SMART tests are not taxing on the drives and detect errors that happen more often then the type of errors that would be detected by a scrub.

My schedule is:
- SMART short test every 3 days
- SMART long test twice per month
- scrub twice per month

Status
Not open for further replies.