What could I do with more drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Something

Explorer
I currently have a WD Red 4TB in my NAS (entirely used for storage for backups) and was thinking of expanding since 4TB seems like it might not allow for as many backups as I like. What could I do with 1-2 more drives?

danb35

Hall of Famer
  • You could add one or two disks to your pool by striping them. This would give you maximum capacity and performance, but no redundancy--if (when) any one disk dies, you'd lose your whole pool.
  • You could add any number of disks as individual zpools (volumes). This would also have no redundancy, but when one disk fails, your remaining disks (and data) wouldn't be lost.
  • You could add a disk as a mirror of your existing disk (which would require some work at the CLI). This won't give you any more capacity, but it will give you redundancy.
  • You could create a three-disk RAIDZ1 volume. This will give you greater capacity and redundancy, but you'd lose your existing data in the process unless you had it backed up somewhere else.

Something

Explorer
I think I'll hold off on RAIDZ1 for now, until I can do a RAIDZ1+0 (or equivalent) setup with 6 disks.

I'm leaning towards redundancy, reduce downtimes and safeguard legacy backups. If I were to go with two individual volumes can they be setup such that when one volume is full, backups go to the second volume?

What would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.