Weird /etc/resolv.conf issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug McIntyre

Dabbler
I run multiple FreeNAS boxes, but only one has this issue.

I have nameservers set in the GUI config (just using Google's public ones), but after every reboot on just this one FreeNAS, that data never gets populated to /etc/resolv.conf. The contents of /etc/resolv.conf after ever reboot is just

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Needless to say, there isn't any resolver running, so DNS lookups fail. Overall this isn't a show stopper, but then upgrades don't work, email alerts don't go out, etc. etc. because the system can't resolve names like the update server.

I've reset the networking setup from both the GUI and the TUI. Then I usually have to revert to editing /etc/resolv.conf by hand to get an update going.

I figure there is something amiss in the database, but I wouldn't know where to go looking, which affects bootup setup items like this that should be populated out of the config database.

I haven't wanted to nuke it all and reimport the ZFS pool, is there anything more I can do besides that?

Mlovelace

Guru
I haven't wanted to nuke it all and reimport the ZFS pool, is there anything more I can do besides that?
The easiest thing to do would be to install fresh on a new boot device and upload the config, but you should file a bug report and see if the devs want to take a look at the problem. It sounds like it's not updating the config db when you save the networking settings, so I would think it's a bad boot device.

Doug McIntyre

Dabbler
I should have mentioned that I have reinstalled the system and imported the config, so I have done that cycle already. The problem stayed with it, showing me the problem is in the database, I just don't know what to look for in there, or what I should do to poke around cleanly in there.

Mlovelace

Guru
I should have mentioned that I have reinstalled the system and imported the config, so I have done that cycle already. The problem stayed with it, showing me the problem is in the database, I just don't know what to look for in there, or what I should do to poke around cleanly in there.
File a bug report and see what the devs say. They'll probably want a full debug which will close the report to public view, so post back with a follow-up.

Howard Swope

Dabbler
Was there ever any resolution on this? I am having the same problem. I don't know when it started, because it used to work.

Doug McIntyre

Dabbler
Yes, there was. I did file a bug report, and the developers did take a look at my config.

It turned out that I had enabled it to be an AD Domain Controller, and while the DNS server I had set it to use to resolve worked in the past, it had since cut me off, so it could no longer do that function.

In AD Domain Controller mode, the network DNS resolver never gets consulted, as it assumes the domain controller part will be able to do it.

He was going to see about filing a bug to gray out the network DNS resolver input fields when Domain Controller service is setup.

Howard Swope

Dabbler
Ah. thanks. That was it . I was fooling around with some AD connectivity stuff. Once I turned that service off, I was back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.