WebUI only accepting login from root (9.10-STABLE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geohhutch

Cadet
Basically just what it says in the thread title. I'm trying to get set up on FreeNAS 9.10. I've made a separate user on my server, which I can ssh into without issue, but when I try to access the WebUI as it authentication fails with the message ``Please enter a correct Username and password. Note that both fields may be case-sensitive.''

Is this intended behavior? Or is there some specific configuration option I need to set on my users to give them webui access?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Basically just what it says in the thread title. I'm trying to get set up on FreeNAS 9.10. I've made a separate user on my server, which I can ssh into without issue, but when I try to access the WebUI as it authentication fails with the message ``Please enter a correct Username and password. Note that both fields may be case-sensitive.''

Is this intended behavior? Or is there some specific configuration option I need to set on my users to give them webui access?
As m0nkey_ has said, you can only access the web UI as "root". What is it you're trying to do that you think requires another user to log in?
Almost certainly, we will advise you that whatever you're trying to do, that's not the recommended way of doing it. The UI should almost never need to be accessed on a properly operating NAS, and when it is accessed, it would be accessed from a trusted LAN, or via some kind of VPN setup, making the need for a non-root access relatively moot from a security standpoint. None of us would recommend exposing your webUI login screen to the WAN.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, how silly of me. I never realized (or even suspected) that @RussianMafia and @jkh were the same person. I guess it's true that, on the Internet, no one knows you're a dog.

Edit: not that I'm suggesting @jkh is a dog (though he seems to have timed his departure from iX very well).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I never realized (or even suspected) that @RussianMafia and @jkh were the same person.
SIR! I never even remotely suggested that these two esteemed gentlemen were the same person. You are putting words in my mouth. RussianMafia desires that his identity remain a mystery, and I will respect that. All I am saying is that RussianMafia did retire from ixSystems and moved on to a biotechnology company. At pretty much the exact same moment. That Jordan did.

m0nkey_

MVP
SIR! I never even remotely suggested that these two esteemed gentlemen were the same person. You are putting words in my mouth. RussianMafia desires that his identity remain a mystery, and I will respect that. All I am saying is that RussianMafia did retire from ixSystems and moved on to a biotechnology company. At pretty much the exact same moment. That Jordan did.
So Jordan is the evil twin. Interesting.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.