Web Interface not available after upgrade from 11.2-U7 to 11.3-STABLE

RussellKaye

Cadet
Hi all, first time poster.

I switched trains to 11.3-STABLE from 11.2-U7 a couple days ago, and the update process seems to have gone well, but i've lost the web interface. All other services (ie smb, ssh) are working well. I also got a friendly email alert that I can update feature flags on my two pools.

I think that my issue stems from the Resilio Sync plugin (two instances, actually), and a conflicting entry it created in the nginx.conf file.

When I run the #nginx command I get the following error:
Code:
nginx: [alert] could not open error log file: open() "/var/log/nginx/error.log" failed (13: Permission denied)
2020/02/04 23:05:58 [warn] 29231#100982: the "user" directive makes sense only if the master process runs with super-user privileges, ignored in /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf:8
2020/02/04 23:05:58 [emerg] 29231#100982: a duplicate listen 192.168.1.100:80 in /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf:75

While the first two issues may important, the last one jumps out to me. So, I tried the following:
- I removed the plugin (both instances) and removed their jails
- I rebooted
- I commented out the duplicate listens in nginx.conf, and restarted /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nginx. Doing so got the web server to respond (with an error 400), and now I get piles of SSL errors and certificate permissions errors. (I was using a self signed certificate for the web interface.) I'm happy to share these if anybody thinks they'd be useful.

Of course if I reboot the system (which I have, a couple times) it reverts the changes in the nginx.conf file, and the problem persists. I feel like I could keep chasing nginx errors, but I'm really hoping that somebody with more experience can point me to a simpler solution. This is a live production server, and while I can run it without the web interface for a little while, it's much less fun.

Thanks in advance,
-Russell