WDTV Live & FreeNAS 8.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmypooh

Dabbler
CIFS Share not showing up as discoverable

I have been stumped on this one for a while now. I've created a Windows share, enabled the CIFS service, made sure the networks are all the same, but I can't get my NAS to show up in the Networks on my windows machines or the share to come up on my WDTV box. I can browse to it only (//FreeNAS/WinShare/MyFiles). I can post a few screen shots of my setup if that will help but right now I've been trying to figure this out for about a week with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My final need for this is the WDTV box can't map. It must see it as discoverable. This will be my media storage for videos and such.

Thanks for the help!!!

FreeNAS 8 (released version) on it's own box
Using ZFS
Windows Vista Laptop
WDTV Live running WDLXTV Live homebrew
Windows XP Desktop
2WIRE Router

Thanks again!

Edit: After even more research I'm not sure I have the Network and Workgroup set up correctly. I'm not a complete novice, but I don't really know the difference between them.

I now have 3 names that I'm not sure if they matter:

Router Network
Network on Vista Machine
Workgroup on Vista Machine, NAS machine etc.

Do all of these need to be the same?

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
Have you tried to restart the CIFS service? Mine did similar when I tried to change the Netbios name.

jimmypooh

Dabbler
Yes. I've actually tried restarting the server. Are you using FreeNAS Version 8.0 Release? At this point I'd just like confirmation that it's possible so I know that it's something I'm doing. I'm having a tough time finding help on this issue.

What does the NetBios name need to be? Right now I think I left the NetBios to be freenas and the rest of all network, workgroup names are "MyNetwork". Does that sound right?

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
I'm running 8.01 beta4 but 8.0 Release works as well.
On the Windows Share, is Browsable to Network Clients checked?

jimmypooh

Dabbler
Yes, it's checked.

Would you mind giving an example of all the network/NetBios Names that should be payed attention to?

These are the ones that I think could affect my problem:
Wireless router Network Name
Workgroup on Vista Laptop
NetBios Name on FreeNAS server
Workgroup Name on FreeNAS server

anything else?

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
My router is running dhcp but I don't have the domain name set.
My PC workgroup is set to workgroup.
Netbios name on Freenas change from default (freenas) to mynas01
The workgroup in CIFS Service settings is workgroup.

I think you should set the workgroup in CIFS Service settings to what your laptop workgroup setting is.
The key thing when I did this was when I change the freenas name to mynas01, I had to turn off the CIFS services off
and then turn it back on in order for my PC to discover it with the new mynas01 name. I also have a couple WDTV Live
and they can discover the netbios name.

Hope this helps.

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
One more thing:
In the Network Settings, the hostname is mynas01
Domain is local
IPv4 Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1 (this is my wireless router)
Nameserver 1 is 192.168.1.1

sundanlotion

Cadet
I feel like I am having the exact same issue on a Win7 PC. If you figure it out, could you help me out? Thanks !

jimmypooh

Dabbler
OK,

I think this gives me a little more to work from. I will start changing some things one at a time to see if I can isolate the problem to help others. It seems it might be related to the netbios name. I have also changed my internal IP addresses to 10.0.1.xx. I doubt that has anything to do with it but I can try turning it back.

I can't mess with it tonight, but I will mess with it Tuesday and see where I can get. I will keep this thread updated as I couldn't find anything on this problem anywhere on the web. My last option will be to upgrade to the newer release but I doubt that is the issue. We'll see. If anyone else figures this out, let us know.

TwinDaddyKev, Thanks for the help so far. At least we know this should work.

jimmypooh

Dabbler
GOT IT!

Looks like you have to change the Hostname (and therefore the NetBios name) from freenas to something else. For some reason it doesn't like that name. Once I changed this it worked fine. Thanks for all the help.

jimmypooh

Dabbler
My impressions of FreeNAS are:

User friendly for non-linux users. It is designed to be configured using a web gui so no need for a monitor.
Limited but usable functionality. Check the freenas.org website for details
High level of development but various bugs
New content coming soon.

Currently my FreeNAS system is just being used for trial purposes. Now that I'm able to use it the way I want to, I will be adding more storage space to it and be using it as a backup server.

I will be building a full time server from all new parts that will be low power but fairly good performance. This will be backed up onto the current server on a weekly basis. My overall uses of uses of the full time server will be media and centralized storage. I have a WDTV Live and really like it. This server will feed all the media to that device. I have also put a homebrew operating system onto the WDTV and it has some great features like moviesheets. The finalized plan will be a very professional looking media solution for my home.

Eventually I would like to get to a point where I enable a SFTP server from this FreeNAS machine too.

eman

Cadet
Hi,

I have installed FreeNAS 8.0.1 and in lieu of having a miniDLNA capability, I bought a WDTV Live box.

The WDTV Live box can detect the IP address of FreeNAS however, when I try to connect to it, the following error is displayed from the WDTV: Unable to connect to the selected source. Please make sure the selected source is active and available for sharing.

I have changed the Hostname of my FreeNAS which was what was suggested in a forum, I have CIFS enabled and working (I think) as I have created a Z: drive on my laptop and can add / delete / play files etc...

I have also shared my volume in NFS and mapped guest users to it... (If that makes sense).

Apologies however I'm not that tech savy & this is very frustrating.

Any help is good help!

eman.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Eman,

I found this link that might help. There is supposed to be an alternate version of 8.01 with miniDLNA available for download as a torrent *sometime* soon. My friend @joeschmuck (Mark) here on the forums might be able to help you with that if you send him a PM.

I haven't used WDTV, but this link looks like it could be helpful:

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/How_to_setup_CIFS_Interceptor

If this link doesn't help, post back and I'll see if I can help you figure it out if no one else has any suggestions.

eman

Cadet
Hi protosd,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have seen the link you suggested and SSH is above my head! I have the applications to do it but I require step by step instructions for a dummy!

In any case, if you either have step by step instructions or if you any other suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,

Eman.

Status
Not open for further replies.