WD Red drives 5 drive limtation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
i wonder if the drive mounting method makes a difference regarding their tolerance for vibration. e.g.: if the drives are mounted directly to a tray or caddy or bay vs mounted with rubber grommets (as is the norm with most tower cases) to minimize the drives' noise/vibrations?
Only one of the tower cases I have ever owned (don't recall the brand) had rubber grommets for the hard disk screws.

marcevan

Patron
I've got 6x RED 3TBs going though I'm about to replace one thru RMA but I highly doubt it's this issue.

My nMediaPC case has a nice drive cage with rubber vibration dampners for each of the 4 screws in each drive.

I'd hazard a guess that WD is highlighting a potential issue with combined vibration of > 5 drives, but I don't think it's something of a de facto nature.

I'll see when my 6th drive is replace, if I still see errors.

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
Only one of the tower cases I have ever owned (don't recall the brand) had rubber grommets for the hard disk screws.

fair enough. out of the last 7 cases i've owned, 6 of them used grommets to help cushion the drives. but the cases were more gaming configuration oriented. saying it was the norm was based on anecdotal evidence on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.