Water Damage TrueNAS Mini XL+

barnacles

Cadet
I awoke one morning recently to 2 inches of water covering my entire floor. In the line of fire was my TrueNAS Mini XL+, which no longer powers on.

I have tested the power supply, which seems to work when plugged into a testing device, leaving me to believe the problem is somewhere with the motherboard.

Can somebody please help me offer advice for getting this machine back up and running?

I assume my data is ok, as the bays should have been above the water line, but I guess I will find that out once I get the machine to power on again.

Should I be doing a full motherboard swap, or testing individual components? What tools would I need to do that?

I'm not completely new to building computers, but I was never an expert and it's been many years. Besides, I don't know much about the parts used in the TrueNAS products. All help is deeply appreciated. I have both personal memories and work documents locked away. It's been a challenge, especially with all of the other water damage sustained in the house.

Below are the specifications for my machine. I upgraded to SCALE, though that's probably not relevant to the hardware issues.

IX-TN-MINIXL+-V.02 TrueNAS Mini 8 x 3.5” SATA hot-swap bays, 1 x 2.5” hot-swap bay, 1 x 2.5” Internal SATA bay - 250W Power Supply - 100-240V 50/60Hz input power (auto-switching)

SW-MINIXL+-TN-CORE TrueNAS CORE is the community edition of the TrueNAS Open Storage and the successor to FreeNAS. Built on OpenZFS data protection and management services, TrueNAS CORE provides block, file, and object storage. Applications are supported via VMs, jails and plugins.

TNSC-MINIXL+-STANDARD-DRIVES Standard Drives with Encryption Disabled

IX-TN-MINIXL+-C-8C-64GB-V.02 Eight-Core 2.2GHz CPU, 64GB ECC DDR4 RAM, 1 x USB 3.0 Port (Front), 1 x USB
2.0 Port (Front), 2 x USB 2.0 Ports (Rear), 1GbE IPMI Port, 1x Internal TrueNAS
SataDOM Boot Device

IX-TN-MINIXL+-NI-10GE-BTx2-V.01 Dual 10Gbe Base-T ports (100 Meters Max on CAT6A) - Integrated. 2x Cat6 cables included

IX-TN-MINIXL+-HD-6TB-V.01 TrueNAS Mini 6TB Enterprise (RED) SATA3 64MB Cache HDD

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did the PSU get wet? If so, I would not trust it, its isolation may be compromised, which may make it unsafe (to the server or to anyone touching the server).

Should I be doing a full motherboard swap, or testing individual components? What tools would I need to do that?
I would first make sure everything is 100% dry, that includes all the connectors - especially the DIMM slots, remove all DIMMs and verify they're dry and clean and that their sockets are dry and clean. Disconnect the disks and test the motherboard and RAM with a new PSU.

If the system powers on, it should be safe to proceed and you can plug in your disks again.

If not, the only real replaceable parts are the motherboard and DIMMs (and the NIC, I guess, but that is secondary). I understand it's a (lightly customized) Supermicro A2SDi board with a C3758 SoC, so that would probably be the replacement you want - but note that you will lose some features exclusive to iXsystems hardware unless you go through them. It's possible that you can get away with your current memory even if the motherboard was damaged, but it's very hard to provide specific guidance in the abstract. Illustrations would be welcome.