SOLVED Want to get some jails on a seperate nic that has a different subnet and gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdt

Explorer
Hey all,

So I recently purchased a new NIC for my server, had these great plans to seperate out a few jails to be on a different subnet on a sorta seperate physical network that has its own gateway..

I have attached a image with the network setup Im trying to obtain,

wanted network topology.png

I have everything pretty much working except getting the 3 jails I want under the seperate VPN network. Everytime I try and configure the jails to use the em0 NIC along with a static IP, I cant figure out how to get them to point to the associated VPN gateway.

On top of that the FreeNAS web gui settings for the jails keep defaulting back to DHCP evertime you edit them despite it previously being a static IP configuration.

1. Is it possible to get the Jails on the VPN network accessing the VPN gateway ?

2. If so how do I accomplish, I've read the documentation and I can't figure out how to do this ?

Cheers,

Craig

Last edited:

craigdt

Explorer
Think I figured this out

So I left the jails configured with DHCP and VIMAGE along with the assigned mac address which the DHCP server has a entry for, and the default Sysctls

Before starting the jail up, I went into the dataset where they are kept, went into the respective meta folders and edited the iface file and just placed in there the inteface I want the jail to be using.

Once saved and starting the jail up, it seems it is binding to that NIC and using the particular network DHCP server to grap the details of the correct gateway etc..

Very simple, only trick is not to make any changes on the Web GUI interface as this will clobber the file change.

Can anyone see any problems with what I have done ?

D

dlavigne

Very simple, only trick is not to make any changes on the Web GUI interface as this will clobber the file change.

Can anyone see any problems with what I have done ?

That's non-intuitive, but if it's working, don't knock it.

craigdt

Explorer
That's non-intuitive, but if it's working, don't knock it.
True, but then if one does need to use the Web GUI to make changes, altering the iface file again afterwards isn't hard.

Would be nice if the Web GUI actually supported the configuration. Probably no point with the new version 10 on the way. I'm sure there are more important things for the developers to spend their time on.

Status
Not open for further replies.