Want 2.5" SMR / Archive disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arwen

MVP
In order to have all my media on a low power, quiet server, I bought a Seagate ST2000LM003, 2TB 9.5mm high
disk. Right now, I am using 1.25TB for my media, (out of 1.8TB Zpool). Probably will need to do something in a
year or so to get more space.

So, when do we see 2.5" Shingled drives?

Any thoughts about 2.5" SMR / Archive disks ever coming out?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm guessing nearly never. SMR is for high-density. If you want high density you want bigger platters, which means the opposite of 2.5". I have no doubt there is a demand, but that demand is relatively low, and contrary to the point of SMR.

In order to have all my media on a low power, quiet server, I bought a Seagate ST2000LM003, 2TB 9.5mm high
disk. Right now, I am using 1.25TB for my media, (out of 1.8TB Zpool). Probably will need to do something in a
year or so to get more space.

So, when do we see 2.5" Shingled drives?

Any thoughts about 2.5" SMR / Archive disks ever coming out?
What kind of server are you using with 2.5's? You can squeeze quite a bit out of them. Supermicro makes a nice 2U 24 bay chassis, figuring 1.2Tb 7200RPM disks in 2 12 disk RAIDz2's yields ~24Tb

Arwen

MVP
What kind of server are you using with 2.5's? You can squeeze quite a bit out of them. Supermicro makes a nice 2U 24 bay chassis, figuring 1.2Tb 7200RPM disks in 2 12 disk RAIDz2's yields ~24Tb
Uh, my low power, quiet server is a fitlet-H. Probably runs about 12 watts,
including the 2TB, 2.5" disk and 1TB, mSATA flash drive. Here is a link;

https://plus.google.com/+Fitpc-by-compulab/posts/F3s2gtnsfLf

Right now, it's perfect for media services, as well as temporary storage for misc.
things. It's running Gentoo Linux with ZFS for all FSes except /boot and swap.

That reminds me, I just got back my WattsUp meter from storage, so this weekend
will be a good time to check power usage for all my equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.