VPN with FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finsfree

Dabbler
Could someone send me a link with some rudimentary instructions on setting up a VPN on FreeNAS 11.1-U4.

I finally got the Transmission plugin to work now I need a VPN.

I'm not a big Linux/Unix guy so that's why I said rudimentary (VPN for dummies)...

I'm guessing OpenVPN is the way to go, but don't know how to set it up.

Thanks,

finsfree

Dabbler
Anyone?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
What am I chopped liver? :P

In all honesty, I use pfSense with OpenVPN; however that is running on a dedicated system (NetGate). If you do not want to use separate hardware, then a VM/Jail is your only other option.

However, I purposely keep those roles segregated. After all, what sense would it really make to have my VPN not work if FreeNAS is shut down? How, would I be able to remotely connect and troubleshoot if everything relies on one system.

IIRC @joeschmuck does use pfSense in a VM. Perhaps, he can provide some insight...

As far as actaully using/configuring pfSense and OpenVPN see their documentation: https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/OpenVPN_Remote_Access_Server#Summary

joeschmuck

Old Man
IIRC @joeschmuck does use pfSense in a VM. Perhaps, he can provide some insight...
Nope, not me. My firewall runs on ESXi, not a FreeNAS jail or VM. I have tried that at one point in time but I find it very disruptive tying my internet to my FreeNAS. Example: You are streaming Netflix or your wife is on the computer, then you reboot FreeNAS for one of many reasons or you need to replace a hard drive. Now you have taken down the internet in your home. I do not recommend running a firewall on FreeNAS.

Now if you want to run ESXi and in that you run a VM for FreeNAS and a VM for a Firewall, that is a slightly better setup becasue you can do what you want to the FreeNAS VM without impacting your firewall. I do this and the FreeNAS is actually my backup storage to my main FreeNAS unit. If I take down this machine for maintenance then I plug in a normal router until maintenance is complete thus ensuring my wife doesn't come at me with a butchers knife for killing the internet on her.

So I have tried pfSense but right now I like Sophos as my firewall. Neither one is easy to setup if you really want serious protection and filtering. It takes time and a lot of reading and help if you have never used these products. The good thing is you can set up a good firewall on minimal hardware.

odragon

Dabbler
Could someone send me a link with some rudimentary instructions on setting up a VPN on FreeNAS 11.1-U4.

I finally got the Transmission plugin to work now I need a VPN.

I'm not a big Linux/Unix guy so that's why I said rudimentary (VPN for dummies)...

I'm guessing OpenVPN is the way to go, but don't know how to set it up.

Thanks,

So I literally just did this today and it works great. I set up the transmission plugin, then used the below guide to add openvpn and create ipfw rules that will cause transmission to stop downloading should the connection to the VPN drop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/41fhz3/configuration_guide_for_openvpn_and_ipfw_so_that/

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.