Volume not increasing in size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevk80

Cadet
Hello,

I originally set-up a RAIDZ2 volume with 8 disks. I've just added another 4 disks and set-up a new volume with the same name. However although all 12 disks appear in the view disk tab of the volume the available size hasn't increased?

Please help.

jfr2006

Contributor
You have to create a different volume name, since freenas still does not allow for volume expansion...

kevk80

Cadet
You have to create a different volume name, since freenas still does not allow for volume expansion...

It worked when I was testing with 3 and then 6 disks with a RAIDZ1 volume. I'm sure I read that was the way to do it on this forum?

jfr2006

Contributor
But you were adding 3 more disks to a raidz1 volume composed also by 3 discs? If it was like this, it worked, because the number of discs is the same and what you are doing is a mirroring from one volume to the other...(something like this..i don't know how to explain it well..).

Regards.

kevk80

Cadet
But you were adding 3 more disks to a raidz1 volume composed also by 3 discs? If it was like this, it worked, because the number of discs is the same and what you are doing is a mirroring from one volume to the other...(something like this..i don't know how to explain it well..).

Regards.

Oh okay? The manual reads as if I can add whatever additional disks I want....

Adding to an Existing Volume

ZFS volumes support the addition of virtual devices (vdevs) to an existing volume (ZFS pool). A RAIDZ1 is an example of a vdev. Once a vdev is created, you can not add more drives to it. However, if you have an existing RAIDZ1, you can combine it with a new RAIDZ1 (and its disks) into a volume. This will increase the overall size of the pool.
To combine two vdevs in the GUI, go to Storage -> Volumes -> Create Volume. In the Volume Name section, input the same name as an existing vdev, select the disk(s) you wish to add, the type of RAID (which has to be the same as the existing one), choose ZFS as the filesystem, and click Add Volume.

Thank-you very much for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.