vnet failing after update from 11.2-RELEASE-U1 to FreeNAS-11.2-U2

CatPasswd

Cadet
An update showed in the webgui today, so I installed it. The OS Version in the dashboard now shows
FreeNAS-11.2-U2

Prior to update, It was FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1

After some initial weirdness which required me to clear my browser cache to even look at the installed VMs, plugins, and jails, one problem remains.

I have one jail that will not start, either from the UI or from the CLI. Error message follows:

root@freenas[~]# iocage start qBit
* Starting qBit
+ Started OK
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/iocage", line 10, in <module>
sys.exit(cli())
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 722, in __call__
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 697, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1066, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 895, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 535, in invoke
return callback(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_cli/start.py", line 54, in cli
ioc.IOCage(jail=jail, rc=rc).start()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/iocage.py", line 1663, in start
callback=self.callback
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 66, in __init__
self.__start_jail__()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 415, in __start_jail__
vnet_err = self.start_network(vnet)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 598, in start_network
err = self.start_network_interface_vnet(nic, net_configs, jid)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 624, in start_network_interface_vnet
membermtu = self.find_bridge_mtu(bridge)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 975, in find_bridge_mtu
su.check_call(bridge_cmd, stdout=su.PIPE, stderr=su.PIPE)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'bridge_cmd' referenced before assignment

-------------------------
I also note that when stopping the jail, an error message appears about tearing down vnet failing with the message ifconfig: interface vnet0:x does not exist, and the "x" increments every time I try to start/stop the jail.

Any suggestions?

D

dlavigne

You shouldn't be getting a traceback. Please report it at redmine.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.

Mannekino

Patron
I just reverted back to the boot environment of U1. Do I need to upload the configuration again also I saved prior to the update or am I good with just booting from U1 again? Pretty big mess up if I'm honest, how did this one get past quality control?

arostad

Cadet
Same exact problem here.. I even tried starting from scratch on one of my jails from within 11.2-U2 but it didn't work so I reverted back to 11.2-RELEASE-U1, my jails started working again, and I was able to rebuild the one I deleted in 11.2-U2.

CatPasswd

Cadet
I'm seeing lots of activity on the bug report, and target versions for a fix. I see there's a U2 and U2.1, U3, etc being referenced. How does one determine which minor version is running? I check for updates, but none are available, and the train just says 11.2-STABLE.

I've created new jails to test, and the problem still happens, so I'm assuming my installation hasn't been updated.

seedz

Dabbler
I had the same problem :
I solved mine by disabling DHCP and setting a static IP to the failed jail.
Seems like vnet DHCP is broken ATM (?)

As well, i was hit with a strange thing :
my old bridge lost control of the NIC that was linked to it, and a new bridge appeared with that NIC
I had to switch all of my jails to that new bridge
The command goes like this
Code:
iocage set interfaces=vnetX:bridgeX jailname

of course, you need to set vnetX to the vnet set in your jails (for me it was vnet0),
and bridgeX to the one your NIC got attached to (for me it was bridge2)