VNC Client to to connect to FreeNAS 11 VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

s25a

Explorer
Hi all,

I am on the new FreeNAS 11 Stable train to test the VM feature. Thanks a lot for this. I have a small issues maybe someone can help.

I installed a Debian Jessi inside the VM which works. I can connect with TightVNC. However some keys are not working e.g. the "/" key which I need of course. Also "Copy&Paste" is not working so I am a bit stuck. Is there maybe a better VNC Client which would work? I am currently on TightVnc (release April 2017). Or is there a possibility to enable the Copy & Paste function.

Find attached the connection info:

Thanks a lot

S

BTW: With VNC Viewer (RealVNC) it does not work due to a protocol error (see attachment)

Attachments

• hc_001.png
    hc_001.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 788
  • hc_002.png
    hc_002.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 821
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy C

Explorer

Wartooth

Cadet
I have the latest VNC Viewer on macOS working here, but I did have a similar error initially with default settings. Try changing the "Picture Quality" setting from Automatic to another option (High worked for me).

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Despite 20 years, Linux is still a command line OS, nearly every guide will be for the command line. So just use SSH and you can copy and from your desktop to the vm. Copy the commands directly from the web page to the terminal window.

Andy C

Explorer
Despite 20 years, Linux is still a command line OS, nearly every guide will be for the command line. So just use SSH and you can copy and from your desktop to the vm. Copy the commands directly from the web page to the terminal window.

True enough. In fact, for a VM on FreeNAS, a headless server is preferable to a desktop environment (less resources, quicker) but VNC is still useful to diagnose why your newly build Debian/Ubuntu VM isn't actually booting (UEFI).

Status
Not open for further replies.