VMFS-5, iSCSI and block size

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewally

Cadet
Hello everyone

I would use FreeNAS in a vSphere 5.1 environment with VMFS-5 over iSCSI.

Reading this forum for a few days and several documents about ZFS, I'm trying to figure out what solution is more powerful, partly because the practice tests I've done have left me with more questions than they have solved.

Given that VMFS-5's blocksize is fixed to 1MB and I would use jumbo frames of 9k, I am left with the following questions:
  • sub-block size, from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5, is increased from 8K to 64K, but I don't think this should be taken into special consideration, right?
  • reading FreeNAS documentation I think I understand that use a file or a disk extent should not change much in terms of IOPS or throughtput
  • if I use a file extents, is the block size determined by recordsize of the zpool that contains the extent file?
  • if I use a disk extent, does the block size depend only on the block size of the zvol or also on its zool record size?
  • in this last case, sould zpool recordsize and zvol block size be the same?
  • anyone has experience of what values of recordsize and block size are the best in this situation?

I apologize in advance if I have little knowledge in storage stystems (I'm such a noob) and if those question have ben answered in other threads.

Thank you for the support

Status
Not open for further replies.