VM VNC doesn't allow inputs after random amount of uptime

Ranko Kohime

Dabbler
I've run into a minor problem with a VM running on TrueNAS 12.0 Release. The VM is running Xubuntu 20.04, and I sometimes lose mouse and keyboard inputs on VNC. This happens both in the VNC provided by TrueNAS, as well as running x11vnc directly on the VM, and accessing from a client running Vinagre on Ubuntu 20.04.

I can see the actual VM mouse cursor juddering across the screen, so that at least is work, but clicking or typing does not work. Generally if EVERYTHING is freshly rebooted (TrueNAS, the VM and the client), I get access, but after some random amount of time/disconnects and reconnects to the VNC, I lose control.

I haven't seen anything of note in the TrueNAS system log, or the systemd log on the VM, OR in the verbose logging of x11vnc. The latter of which DOES report that it's receiving mouse clicks and keyboard presses, they just don't translate into anything happening on screen.

The VM is not locked up, I do have SSH access, and there is a GUI process (handbrake) running that is reporting it's status.

Frank_S

Cadet
I am running Kubuntu 20.04 on a TrueNAS-12.0-U2 VM and have encountered the same problem where mouse/keyboard input eventually stops working. It appears the problem is with the screensaver program. I had it disabled but still found it running.

Killing the xfce4-screensaver process restored the ability of the VM to accept mouse and keyboard inputs.

After renaming the /usr/bin/xfce4-screensaver binary and restarting I no longer see the issue with inputs not being accepted.

It seems there may be two problems. An issue with bhyve not working with the screen saver and Kubuntu not truly disabling the screensaver. In either case the workaround solves the problem for me.

On Ubuntu just disabling the screensaver may be the solution for you.