VM stopped and can't boot again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zofoor

Patron
Hi all!
Tonight something really strange happened. I am using two VM, an ubuntu with pihole installed, and another with opnsense.
Seems that exactly at 3 am both VM stopped. I noticed that becouse Internet was not working. I hadn't the time to see the logs and investigate becouse I needed Internet immediatelly. So first I tried to start again the VM, but it was not working (the web interface says that the VM has been started with a green toaster, but the main screen says stopped). So I rebooted the whole system and so it worked.

Now that it's all working I would like to investigate at what happened, but on /var/log/messages of Freenas I see only messages from when I rebooted the server. What can I do to find the problem? What could be the trouble? VM seems to me pretty stable since now.

My specs:
Freenas 11.0 U1
Xeon E3-1230v5
Supermicro X11SSH-F
64 Gb ram ecc
6 WD red 6 Tb on raidz2 + 1 WD Red 3Tb on a single volume
Temperature were cool (it was also night), and today I don't have any activity scheduled on FreeNAS (scrub, smart tests, etc).
About the ram, I have dedicated 512 mb to pihole and 768 to opnsense. I also have 6 jails but with low activity.

joeschmuck

Old Man
At 3AM FreeNAS has some scheduled maintenance tasks. I would recommend submitting a bug report on this issue but first I'd update to FreeNAS 11.0-U2 and then see if it occurs again at 3AM. This type of information can be very helpful in locating the problem, assuming it wasn't a one time occurance. If you can't reproduce it then it will be very hard for the developers to find the issue.

I'm surprised that no one commented about this posting earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.