VM: How to change screen resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBRI

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

in my freenas 11 U1 I installed an OpenSuse Leap 42.3 VM.
It works good, but I cannot change the screen resolution and that makes me mad.
It appears that the hypervisor "emulates" a monitor that just can habe 1024x768. In OpenSuse I can only set this resolution and in freenas I cannot configure that devices.
In the same OpenSuse on a real machine, I can switch to different resolutions, as needed.
If I choose another resolution in the vnc client, it is just scaled and doesn´t look good.

Does someone know, how I can get this changeable?

Thanks and greetings from Germany
obri

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you conducted a search for this information? I ask because this topic comes up quite a bit so it's very likely this has been answered at least 10+ times over the past 2 months. And I fear that the answer may not be what you want to hear either.

chris crude

Patron
I can get proper resolution and big screen fun using windows RDP on my windows10 VM, but have not found a free VNC solution that allows the same thing with Linux VMs.

OBRI

Dabbler
Have you conducted a search for this information? I ask because this topic comes up quite a bit so it's very likely this has been answered at least 10+ times over the past 2 months. And I fear that the answer may not be what you want to hear either.
Hi, yeah I searched for it - with no result. But I blocked the google javascripts.... stupid enough not to think about, why there where an amount of zero results. Damn it :-(

chris crude

Patron

OBRI

Dabbler
Does someone know, where I could change the resolution in a config file?

As long as it is not changeable in the UI, there should be a way doing this manually?

Stux

MVP

As long as it is not changeable in the UI, there should be a way doing this manually?

This feature is coming in 11.1 i believe.

droeders

Contributor

I run my bhye VMs from a FreeBSD system, and use the following CLI argument to increase the Linux VM resolution to 1280x1024:

-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1280,h=1024,wait

This (relatively old) post documents the supported resolutions. The list may have expanded by now:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2016-May/004471.html

Not sure this helps with FreeNAS, but wanted to let you know it can be done...

OBRI

Dabbler
I run my bhye VMs from a FreeBSD system, and use the following CLI argument to increase the Linux VM resolution to 1280x1024:

-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1280,h=1024,wait

This (relatively old) post documents the supported resolutions. The list may have expanded by now:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2016-May/004471.html

Not sure this helps with FreeNAS, but wanted to let you know it can be done...

Thanks for that. Bu to be honests, I don´t know how to use this in the freenas CLI. Is the command complete?
I hoped that somebody knows, where I can change it in freenas config file or so.
Freenas may start the VM with the arguments "w=1024, h=768" and this String should be changeable? But where to find it....

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.