VLANs in 9.3 not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchy

Cadet
Did VLANs break in 9.3? Whenever I make a vlan in 9.3 and reboot I get a lot of jibberish about vlan's not found
and create_arghs_vlan: not found etc. I have done a fresh install and tried to create vlans and it did the same thing again. I've tried to create vlans about 50 times. Always get the same issues.

I think there must be a bug.

itw

Dabbler
I just wrestled with making a couple tagged interfaces on a couple igb NICs. Gave up. It's like there is nothing sent or received on the tagged interfaces - according to wireshark on a directly-attached laptop, anyway. But all the FreeBSD interfaces looked right. Went back to just igb0 and igb1 and changed the switchports to untagged and it all came right up.

A tagged VLAN on my em0 in the same NAS works fine. What NIC were you using?

I'm not ready to call it a bug, but something doesn't seem right.

UdoB

Dabbler
I just wrestled with making a couple tagged interfaces on a couple igb NICs. Gave up.

My own experience: after installation in a "normal" untagged network I wanted to switch to a VLAN-only/all-tagged environment. Without success - no connectivity after reboot. Then I noticed (using the local shell) that my vlans were correctly configured but bge0 was down.

A simple manual ifconfig bge0 up made my vlans work!

I ended up by avoiding vlans for now. My workaround is possibly fragile and the situation seems not to be stable.

Best regards

itw

Dabbler
I was seeing all sorts of strange things. Unplugged ethernet never going to "no carrier" and staying active being the most notable, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you describe. Interesting you were using bge.

I might try it again soon now that I know my extents will probably survive.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I haven't tried 9.3 but, yes, you do need to provide a configuration for the vlan parent interface. Configure no IP addresses and options "up".

This is because in FreeBSD, the vlan parent interface is configured separately from the vlan ifconfig's. This allows an administrator to set other required parameters such as MTU, link speed, and other options.

FreeNAS doesn't try to automatically jiggeroo interfaces for you. This could be considered a bug and you could file a feature request since it is a detectable configuration error that if you have a vlan and the parent interface options does not include "up", it won't work as you probably intended.

itw

Dabbler
I know I tried configuring the parent interface with no IP but I didn't specifically include an "up" in options.

I looked at ifconfigs countless times looking for anything useful and should have caught a down parent.

I'll try it again sometime this week.

If that's all it is, and it works consistently, I don't know if I'd call it a bug. Maybe the UI could do something a little more intelligent for the user though.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If that's all it is, and it works consistently, I don't know if I'd call it a bug. Maybe the UI could do something a little more intelligent for the user though.

Works here since 8.1 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.