SOLVED Virtualization - Boot Failed. EFI Hard Drive - HassOS

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Hi,

Running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1

I have been attempting to deploy a HassOS VM (I known the plugin exists, I would like to run it in a VM).

I have been following this guide, its from a few versions back but people still seem to have good success with it -

I have been able to confirm my image works by simply adding the image as a raw file to the VM and the VM boots fine to that image file. The issue comes when I DD the image to the ZVol, the command runs, I start the VM and then I get the error Boot Failed. EFI Hard Drive. After a min it pops me into the EFI shell, now ordinarily from here I would go to Boot Maintenance Manager and Boot From File and select the boot file. The issue I have is the file doesnt work.

1656889748442.png

This boots me to a blank screen which then just shoves me back into the EFI shell again after a while. I feel like something must be wrong with the DD process or is there a simple fix for this?

As a side note I have also had success booting into the generic x86 image that HA provide when adding it as a raw file. Unsure if there is a need for the VDI->IMG conversion anymore?

Many Thanks
Spencer

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
It should be noted, the boot file shown in the above image is the NIC, so the drive is not even detected.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Problem solved - Issue was my severely lacking reading skills, I had a mistake in my dd command my of was point to /mnt/.... not /dev/.... at the zvol