VirtualBox guests lock-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I agree - I am quite happy VMWare anything user but to have my FreeNAS box do just a little more is a temptation I cannot resist!

Looks like the max memory I am able to run with is 3520M - is it ringing any bells? I am using 12M of video memory on that host as well.

If memory serves me right with Virtualbox, they are emulating a chipset from years ago and, at that time, was limited to 4GB minus 512MB for reserved space. Of course, this information really won't help at all because, even *if* it explained the problem, there is no fix for it unless you are a programmer and are going to try to change chipsets on your own (which I'd imagine is a HORRENDOUSLY large task).

rs225

Guru
Agree on VMWare having great virtualization; it really is a lot harder than it looks.

3.5GB doesn't ring any bells for me, but if cyberjock is right about the chipset limitation, that could explain it. VBox does support 3? chipsets, so you could try one of the newer ones, if it is easy to select them.

The CPU difference may be the code for EPT(nested pages) vs the code for non-EPT. Maybe a bug, maybe a "don't do that."

Status
Not open for further replies.