VirtualBox folder sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

After upgrading to FreeNAS 9.3 I am facing lot of issues W.R.T plugins/jails. Transmission has stopped working and plex is not updating the new media from the respective source folders, etc.

Since VirtualBox template has been promoted in this new version instead of jails, I tried to install and try the VBox template with Ubuntu server as guest (running plex and transmission). Though the VBox install happened very smoothly, could access the webui and also install Ubuntu server as guest, I am struggling to share dataset from FreeNAS to Ubuntu guest. The max I could achieve was access from FreeNAS to VBox Jail environment, access to guest OS is where I am stuck.

I have tried sharing folder after installing:
1. VirtualBox-guest-additions-iso on Ubuntu server
2. Dkms on Ubuntu server

I am not able to see the shared folder under /mnt, request help/guidance from this forum to share folder from FreeNAS storage all the way to guest environment (Ubuntu server).

Thanking all in advance...

Regards.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Even if you add a shared folder to your /mnt directory in the virtualbox settings your still going to have to mount/map that share in ubuntu server before you can access it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to re install both plugins and go from there? You seem to be attempting to fix your problem by making it more complex.

Were you able to figure this out?

Hello Dlavigne,

I was not able to get it working using VBox folder sharing, I did a workaround using NFS Shares wherein I am sharing directly from FreeNAS to VBox guest using NFS Shares.

However now the problem is that when FreeNAS is shutdown, VBox guests are shutdown abnormally. Ideally the VBox guests should have a clean shutdown.

Regards.

Last edited:
Even if you add a shared folder to your /mnt directory in the virtualbox settings your still going to have to mount/map that share in ubuntu server before you can access it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to re install both plugins and go from there? You seem to be attempting to fix your problem by making it more complex.

Hello Jailer,

Thanx for your suggestion, unfortunately i was not able to install plex and transmission as plugin, it fails every time with the error: "A template with this nickname already exists!".

I did a workaround: by installing both plex and transmission on 1 VBox guest instance (ubuntu server) and direct sharing from FreeNAS to VBox guest using NFS Share.

Regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.