Virtio in VM broke FreeNAS networking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinistois

Dabbler
I had a working freenas 11.2B3 box with an ubuntu VM with the intel type NIC. All was well. Last night, lost networking to the VM, it would not pull an IP. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting. In the end, I deleted the NIC from the VM, and tried to attach a Virtio one instead (that is often suggested on these forums). Still didn't work.

So I rebooted freenas. Upon bootup, freenas gets the same IP it always does (I use DHCP and just reserve it in the router). I go to load the gui, and it loads the logo, but then times out. Nothing since.

I reboot, it goes through the setup, pulls the same dhcp IP every time (I see it pop up to the top of the list in the dhcp router, so I know it's working how it should).

can't ping out of the box, can't ping into the box. How can it grab an ip from the router, then immediately not be able to ping the router? Tried a different switch port and different cable, no dice. The link lights look normal on both ends. I can delete the nic and set it back up, it dhcp's again, and then nothing.

I have a feeling it's the VM's nic coming up in Virtio and that is somehow ruining the networking. Is there a way to shut off the VMs or prevent them from booting from the shell?

kdragon75

Wizard
From the FreeNAS console, try deleting the main interface and setting it back up. This might break the bridge from adding it as a member.

KrisBee

Wizard
I had a working freenas 11.2B3 box with an ubuntu VM with the intel type NIC. All was well. Last night, lost networking to the VM, it would not pull an IP. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting. In the end, I deleted the NIC from the VM, and tried to attach a Virtio one instead (that is often suggested on these forums). Still didn't work.

A new VM feature has been introduces in F11.2-BETA3, attached devices are given an order number which the user can change. If you deleted the e1000 NIC device to replace it which a virtio NIC device the order number probably changed. So your Ubuntu VM sees this as a new device with a different "predictable interface name" - eg enp0s3 could change to enp0s4. The results is your Ubuntu VM looses network connectivity and you either have to re-configure it's network, or use the new webUI to revert the order number of the NIC device.

I can't say what happened when you re-booted FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.