Video editing NAS | Asus P9X79 Deluxe & i7-3930K

RazvanQD

Cadet
Hello from a newbie!

I am a one man shop doing color grading.
May main question now is to NAS or to DAS?

I have an Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard with 32GB of RAM (non-ECC), a i7-3930K and 5 HGST 6TB enterprise raid drives lying around from an older system.
I also have some internal RAID controllers (Areca, LSI, ATTO) but to be honest those gave me only headaches.

If I can use the old components that I already have for a decent NAS, I would much prefer that path for the added benefit of being able to connect a second system to the same storage, either for a conform assistant or for a separate rendering system.
I would't have more than two systems connected at a time.

So I am considering getting some more identical drives, a USB SSD boot drive and a dual 10 or 20Gb network card; no switch, no separate network; just two computers connected directly to the NAS. Is that possible?

Data safety is important but not crucial. The RAID5 version of TrueNas would be enough redundancy.
Would it be realistic to get two consistent simultaneous 500MBps reads from an 8 drive storage like that?

I am not at all familiar with NAS systems or networking in general.
My IT knowledge is limited just to the basic skills needed to build my own systems and understand the basic interactions between the different components.

I would appreciate any help that could set me on the right path and help me make a decision.

Thank you!