VHDX Storage needs 'resiliency' ...

Grimm Spector

Explorer
Hello, I have a need to store my VDHX virtual disks for hyper-v virtualized systems on my freenas SMB share, however I get an error message when trying to mount such a drive that it cannot be done as the SMB doesn't support resiliency. I've been unable to find a solution. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Why did you choose SMB?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Grimm Spector

Explorer

That is for creating SMB shares on Windows Server itself, nothing to do with FreeNAS. So unfortunately not, that's not particularly helpful. Thanks though.

I already have an SMB share on FreeNAS, the issue isn't setting up a share, it's that a Hyper-V drive won't start on it, as per the original post, Hyper-V complains that the share lacks 'resiliency'. If I understand correctly that's a feature from SMB 2.0, which shouldn't be a problem.

snowdemon

Cadet
I also have the same issue. I'm running FreeNas 11.2 stable and get the error of "Remote SMB share does not support resiliency" when I try to boot the Windows VM on the SMB share. Im trying this on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

snowdemon

Cadet
I seen that earlier in the day and none of it worked for me. This seems to come from Windows Hyper-V thinking that the SMB share from does not have any resiliency/redundancy or HA, but from everything I've read from setting this up you can do standalone storage that does not have to be clustered or anything and should work on anything that supports SMB 3.0

geekmaster64

Explorer
Hello,

So I ran into this problem as well. Based on my searches, years ago Freenas was Hyper-V "Certified" meaning that it supported all of the Microsoft criteria to support Hyper-V workloads.

Fast-forward past Server 2012+ and the badge disappeared... this is one of those problems. To counter it, I just run iSCSI with my Hyper-V host (Microsoft Eng here.) and was able to get around it.

Microsoft's Scale-Out File Server is the solution they had in mind for Hyper-V Storage, thankfully other storage vendors rose to the occasion with their own solutions. I do not have the exact technical reason what the SMB service on Freenas doesn't have in regards to a specific attribute that the Microsoft Hyper-V service is looking for. But this is from my own experiences, I'm sure there are others that are far more knowledgeable will have a better understanding.

In the end, I just ended up using iSCSI with MPIO and it's working great.

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor