Very slow NFS when performing VM snapshot

francisaugusto

Contributor
Ok, hear me out because this is a bit weird...

I have two pools: /mnt/mainpool and /mnt/backup

The `/mnt/backup` is mounted as a datastore on an ESXI host so that I perform backups. I started to use ghettoVCB to backup my VMs.

I noticed recently that out of the blue my nfs shares get painfully slow. They are mounted from `/mnt/mainpool`. Even booting a Raspberry Pi from an NFS share gets incredibly slow.

I couldn't find anything on my logs, but I realized today that, while I experienced this, ghettoVCB was backing up a VM. The backup should be saved on `/mnt/backup`, but still ALL my shares on other disks were super slow. I killed the job, and bang, shares started to be responsive again.

What could be the cause of this? I mean, nothing is being written to my main pool, or read. Why suddenly my whole NFS gets slow? And are there any remediation for this?

I have another ESXI host and I experienced painfully slow VMs there, when they were on NFS, even if they have always run fine. I suspect it was the same problem. The way ghettoVCB works - if I got that right - was to snapshot a VM to my backup pool. Could it be that snapshotting a working VM to another NFS share makes things slow? I see that some of those operations take 6-7 hours, as the machine is very active.

Any tips?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @francisaugusto

Is your system spec in the your signature accurate as shown below?

Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F
96GB DRAM
Supermicro SC825 TQC-600LPB chassis
2x 8TB WD RED HDD (for FreeNAS pool)
1x 4TB Seagate Barracuda (for TimeMachine pool)
Intel SSD 660 NVMe 1TB
ESXi 7
TrueNAS Scale 22.12 (VM)

I suspect your 4TB drive is SMR, and your 8TB HDDs might also be.

francisaugusto

Contributor

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
And why would it matter when the drives being affected are those without a lot of read/write?
SMR drives can be extraordinarily slow, to the point that even a minor workload will cause them to be unresponsive. If your WD drives are SMR, there is also a known issue with that vendor specifically; however, the 8TB drives may or may not be SMR.

Can you identify which drives belong to which pool, and how you have passed them through to TrueNAS - as you have indicated that you are running TrueNAS SCALE as a VM.

Whattteva

Wizard
Which drives are involved in mainpool and which drives are involved for backup? and which drive hosts the hypervisor?