Using the rest of a big boot SSD - Best Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ya see I don't *have* another SSD just lying about the place, if I did it would be in a mirror with the boot disk. I want my 112 GB...

Then do the smart thing and switch to using usb drives, it works fine and your get the whole SSD to use then.

I've done it for 4 years, wouldn't have it any other way.

danb35

Hall of Famer

DaPlumber

Patron
Many of us would disagree that this is "the smart thing."

I would be one of them. I keep the installer image plugged in in case of emergencies, and it’s the only available bootable USB port. I do have a pool on two usb3 connected 4TB HDDs, but there’re supposed to be for cold archive back ups of datasets in the main pool only. Please see my issue here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/rancher-ui-vm-install-wont-start.64060/ for RancherUI insisting on using the first alphabetical pool for it’s .bhyve dataset. “Appliance” my shiny metal posterior.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Many of us would disagree that this is "the smart thing."

You're welcome to, we've discussed this before. I'm 4 years deep on my USB configuration with no major failures AND it's known that rescuing the system is dead easy anyhow.

He wants use of his SSD, this way he can have it.

DaPlumber

Patron
You're welcome to, we've discussed this before. I'm 4 years deep on my USB configuration with no major failures AND it's known that rescuing the system is dead easy anyhow.

He wants use of his SSD, this way he can have it.
“He” has a shortage of USB ports for a start. I think the official answer is my iXsystems Mini came with a sataDOM, not a USB drive? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.