Using Jails Cause Problems with FreeNAS 10 When Released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David R

Cadet
As a brand new new user to FreeNAS I was totally unaware of a pending FreeNAS 10 version on the horizon until recently....after spending the past hour reading various posts it sounds as though jails will no longer be a feature in FreeNAS 10 =(. Assuming I have that right, it leads me to the following concern/questions:

I plan to run several jails in 9.10 now (Plex, OwnCloud, etc) and am curious if that will prevent me from upgrading from 10 when that is released? If not, will those jails migrate over to the new virtualization platform during the upgrade process?

I'm a little concerned with the configuration complexities (OwnCloud for example) and having to migrate that manually to FreeNAS 10 and/or set it up from scratch all over again.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This is nothing more than a guess, but I imagine with things changing so much with 10 that you will have to rebuild and start over any jails or VM's that you currently have with 9.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
My wild ass guess is that the devs will try some things to allow users to "copy" jails (for lack of a better description),
but this will only happen many months AFTER FreeNAS 10 STABLE has been initially released.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Even so, I am sure that the 9.10 branch will be supported for quite some time. I have already moved most of my stuff to 9.10 and will stick with that for a while. I like Alphas and Betas but normally prefer the Release versions to be baked for a while before moving to them. Oh and I don't use jails so that makes things a bit easier. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.