Using FreeNAS as storage for BackupPc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpearcefl

Contributor
BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/index.html) is "enterprise" backup solution that can backup Windows/Macs/Linux computers without an agent. I used it successfully in the past using local storage.

I don't want to try to install it on the FreeNAS box (unless someone tells me it can be done safely) but install it on an Ubuntu box and mount an NFS share from the FreeNAS box.

I have it partially working (still tweaking).

Has anyone tried this combo and if so, would you like to share tips?

If I decide this combo is usable, I'll certainly document it here.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
BackupPC works fine with FreeNAS over NFS. Don't know about the Ubuntu but I doubt it'd be a problem.

MtK

Patron
I have it running and working on CentOS and NFS'd to a share. Also the source is actually mounted to the same storage on a separate NFS share.

Just be sure to plan the pool for the backups' needs... specially if you want to do incremental files backup (lot's of tiny writes).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Using a jail should work just fine. I was planning on doing this soon as I miss my backuppc setup I used to have

dpearcefl

Contributor
Have you have BackupPC working in a jail? Getting it to run on BSD seems a bit complicated.

dpearcefl

Contributor
I went the manual route of creating a jail, the installing BackupPC using pkg. I have some configuration issues to work through but it just might work well. Making a PBI was beyond my needs.

Artion

Patron
Using a jail should work just fine. I was planning on doing this soon as I miss my backuppc setup I used to have
Hi, can you make an HOW-TO in your spare time for it, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.