Using FreeNAS as network switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Market Guru

Dabbler
Not sure if this is in developement.

I wonder once you build a decently powered FreeNAS box is it possible to use it has a network switch since we can invest on 10gbE NIC with multiple ports?

Send from Note 3

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
*pops popcorn*

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
*pops popcorn*

I'll bite. *cough*

WHY??? Why would you want a full computer acting as a switch?

Routing is one thing, but again, FreeNAS is most definitely not what you're looking for - pfSense might be though.

Switching is something done in hardware. The last thing you'd want is to waste a general purpose CPU just sending packets from A to B according to simple rules, when a switch chip will do the same job, aided by a much more modest CPU (if required).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Generally speaking, "best practice", as Eric says, is to have your networking switch/router/whatever be one purpose-driven appliance. A lot of the guys here, including Cyberjock, run a pfSense box (which is another FreeBSD appliance, just like FreeNAS) on special small motherboards that have strong Intel nics on them.

Having a system that does a bunch of stuff, and oh by the way, handles your routing/switching/gateway, is not considered a wise move. But people can, and do, build small boxes (out of the RIGHT EQUIPMENT FOR THE PURPOSE!!! NOT SOME RANDOM ASS MOBO) with pfSense to do what you say.

Market Guru

Dabbler
Thank you for the guide line. I should know better but I dont know about pfSense or what it does.

I thought about that because I thought about using ownCloud and with FreeNAS also as a switch or router.

Anyway thanks let me re think

Send from Note 3

Status
Not open for further replies.