Using Dual Port 10GBASE-T 10GbE Intel X520-T2 PCI-E Network Adaptor peer to peer and internet

Truenas_User

Cadet
Hi,newbie here so i dont know if this has been asked before
my problem is that i would like to connect a pc to truenas machine by peer to peer using a Dual Port 10GBASE-T 10GbE Intel X520-T2 PCI-E Network Adaptor in each machine.
port 0 on the pc connects to a switch then connects to the internet by a router.
port 1 on the pc connects direct to the truenas to use the 10gbe

truenas connects to the switch

in this configuration it works but i can only download at 1gb as it goes through the switch and to the router
i did have it working once but nobody on my home network could access the shared folders
could anyone help please?
ps sorry if its been asked before.

TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 Truenas Core
Asus B150 Pro Motherboard
i5 6600k cpu
32gb ram
120gb ssd Boot Drive
5x Ironwolf 4tb hard drives in zfs2
Dual Port 10GBASE-T 10GbE Intel X520-T2 PCI-E Network Adaptor

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
i can only download at 1gb as it goes through the switch and to the router

This doesn't make sense. Presumably you mean "1Gbps" when you say "1gb"; please don't make up random abbreviations.

The use of the word "download" is also confusing. One typically transfers files to or from a NAS; it's part of your computer's filesystem. It would be like saying "I downloaded this from my hard drive".

If you are trying to say that your traffic is traversing a 1Gbps-capable switch on the way from the NAS to your PC, and is being limited, I don't understand why you've said "and to the router" in the quoted bit.

If you are trying to say that you can only download from the Internet at 1Gbps, that's still better than most people have.

My best guess from trying to reassemble this into a coherent picture would be that you are finding your NAS traffic traversing your 1Gbps switch on its way to the PC. Since both the PC and NAS have a connection to the switch, there isn't anything obvious there that will hint to use the pointopoint 10Gbps ethernet connection.

One way to solve this is to have the pointopoint mounts use IP addresses. So if your home network is 192.168.0.1/24 with the NAS at .0.10 and the 10Gbps PC at .0.20, and the pointopoint is 192.168.1.1/24 with the NAS at .1.10 and the 10Gbps PC is at .1.20, you then do your net use commands like

net use z: \\192.168.1.10\sharename

and things should work out. That's really the easiest solution. Other solutions involve converting the NAS into a bridging configuration and eliminating the 1Gbps uplink from your PC, forcing all traffic from the PC over 10Gbps to the NAS. This has the downside of losing connectivity to the PC if the NAS is down.

Truenas_User

Cadet
Thank you for the interesting read i meant 1Gbps transfering data from the nas to the bedroom pc ,iam new to truenas and still learning,i drew a picture to try and explain a bit better.

Attachments

• truenas.jpg
    truenas.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 159

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So there should be no path where there's any involvement from the router there. You have a 1Gbps path from the NAS to the PC, traversing the switch, and then a 10Gbps pointopoint.

You probably need to identify what your goal is here. If it's nothing more than "make it work", then I suggest that your simplest solution is to do the IP address based solution I discussed. Because neither the TrueNAS host nor Windows normally provides DHCP service, you need to manually configure the networking for that pointopoint link. If you want to toss up some information on what your current IP network addressing is like, I can probably give you less confusing guidance. Otherwise, you can follow the general example I provided above.

Truenas_User

Cadet
Thank you,i will configure the point to point link ip addresses manually but i think i did try that but transferring data from the nas to the bedroom pc was at 1Gbps rather than anywhere near 10Gbps.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thank you,i will configure the point to point link ip addresses manually but i think i did try that but transferring data from the nas to the bedroom pc was at 1Gbps rather than anywhere near 10Gbps.

Well, then, not to put too fine a pointopoint on it (see what I did there! heh) you may have not done it quite correctly. It can be made to work.

Truenas_User

Cadet
The problem is when transferring data from the nas to the pc it is taking the 1gbps connection to the switch rather than the point to point 10gbe connection.My goal is to transfer data from the nas port 1 to the pc port 1 and achieve up to 10Gbps.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The problem is when transferring data from the nas to the pc it is taking the 1gbps connection to the switch rather than the point to point 10gbe connection.My goal is to transfer data from the nas port 1 to the pc port 1 and achieve up to 10Gbps.

Yes, I understand that. This is one tier above beginner level "plug everything into a switch" networking, and can be addressed either via architecting your network infrastructure appropriately, or architecting your IP networks appropriately. I do this stuff on a daily basis and both have their pros and cons.

In your case, you've probably screwed yourself a bit by selecting suboptimal networking cards; copper 10GBASE-T sucks bigtime. It also means that you cannot avail yourself of readily available solutions in infrastructure. I would normally recommend acquiring a switch with some modest amount of SFP+ capability, because those are available fairly cheaply on the used market, and then just making a single IPv4 network out of it. This mirrors what you are likely already familiar with, but comes at the cost of some new gear.

Because you've already got the 10GBASE-T cards, you're committed to having to work with a pointopoint configuration. In a certain way, this is easier, because it is not involving ambiguity, but users are often reliant on the helper technologies like DHCP and WINS to set up their network and obscure the ambiguity. So it's really only a matter of configuring your pointopoint correctly for a separate IPv4 network, and then using the correct mount command, and it will magically work, and do so at 10Gbps. Because it won't have any idea about the 1Gbps. That's the beauty of the separate network solution.

Truenas_User

Cadet
Thank you for your reply,it may be that i need to have each nic card on a separate subnet.which would mean the nas transfers data directly to the pc using port 1 not port 0 ,i can access the truenas share folders but can only transfer data to the pc at 1Gbps i did manage to transfer data around 400mbs/s to the pc but left no access from the other networked pc's i really appreciate your help and knowledge.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
i need to have each nic card on a separate subnet.

Correct, that's what I explained above. For any design like this where you have two separate networks, each of them needs to be configured. You can then choose which of them you'd like to use.

Truenas_User

Cadet
Now i need to learn how to set up 2 separate subnets.

Truenas_User

Cadet
Any idea's anybody?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any idea's anybody?
Wow. Forty minutes before bumping your own thread, on a subject that's very far off-topic for this forum, and for which you've already been given the answer. That has to be some kind of record.

Truenas_User

Cadet
Not exactly Forty minutes,anyway i came here for help and have fixed the problem with a little help from jgreco, and it is working as i needed, "Any idea's anybody?"was meant for the other members to chime in with any other hint's or recommendations to other member's with a similar problem,Good luck with your timekeeping.