Dell Intel X520-T2 10GB Dual Port Ethernet PCIE HELP

rshakin

Dabbler
Hi guys I am not versed in the networking config of the freebsd type, I am trying to get Dell Intel X520-T2 10GB Dual Port Ethernet PCIE working,
weird thing is one port on that card is lit yellow all the time the other one seems to work just fine it comes up and detects interfaces and everything.

what would be my procedures to troubleshoot it, besides the obvious plug in different cables and such... already did that. This is a dell r720 box standart configuration.

it will detect on ix0 that the link is up but not on ix1...

Code:
ix1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=e407bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCS
UM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 68:05:ca:1f:a3:89
        hwaddr 68:05:ca:1f:a3:89
        inet 92.242.140.2 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 92.255.255.255
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect
[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig  ix0
ix0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=e407bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        ether 68:05:ca:1f:a3:88
        hwaddr 68:05:ca:1f:a3:88
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
        media: Ethernet autoselect

Code:
42:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 10 Gigabit TN Network Connection (rev 01)
42:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 10 Gigabit TN Network Connection (rev 01)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Where'd you source the card? The X520-T2 is an unusual card. If you bought it off eBay, I'd start off by validating the Yottamark on it, as there've been a large number of fake Intel cards.

rshakin

Dabbler
it looks like a dell part oem number but it was a system pull so would be weird that it would be counterfeit

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 426

jgreco

Resident Grinch
it looks like a dell part oem number but it was a system pull so would be weird that it would be counterfeit

If it was a system pull from a system where it was part of the original hardware manifest, then it's clearly legit. If it is an "aftermarket" add-on, that's where things get dicey, because businesses sometimes try to source "cheaper than Dell retail" Dell cards. The fact that it's a Dell card pulled from a Dell system does not make it clear which of these cases it is.

rshakin

Dabbler
yeah looks like the card is just damaged or something... just tried it in another server and same results yellow light on on of the channels, the other one works. So it's going back to the seller, the other two work fine in my proxmox server nodes

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh, see, "eBay purchase" would have been handy to know. It adds another dimension of complication, because the companies and people who scrap out old data center or enterprise computing gear are sometimes not too careful, and often have no clue.

Also there's no actual reason to think that it was a "system pull" as there are a number of eBay sellers who are clearly fronts for Asia-sourced boards, which are *always* suspect in my book. They're happy to list their boards as "system pulls" and "fully tested" but they are often telltale if they seem to have an odd skew of parts that suggests that they aren't actually pulling them -- such as if they aren't also selling servers, memory, disks, and other components. The ones that are selling them alongside other random non-computer crap are the most entertaining ones.