Using aditional IDE-Drives - which pcie-controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heck

Cadet
Hello,

im building a nas from scratch - using the parts shown in the signature.
I also have a lot of obsolete IDE-Drives from an older server.
These are 160gig IDE Baracuda-Drives - 6 total.
I was planning to expand my zpool with an aditional 4Disk-RaidZ2 (2disks for failure-swapping) for my most important dokuments (~320gig should be more than enough).

Is it possible to integrate this with an aditional controler for example an inline 66647-controller-card?
The inline seems more like a consumer-card. Are there any older pice controller-cards for enterprice-use you guys would recommend? I also have an Startech pcie>pci-Adapter - but i costs one "server-hight"-unit.

Greetings from germany!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You are using....one Kingston DIMM, and one Samsung DIMM? And you want to add old Seagate IDE drives to it? And "320 gig should be more than enough"?

Sir, are you sure FreeNAS is the appropriate product for your needs?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I tried looking at PATA controllers the other day. I couldn't find any decent-looking PCI-e ones.

You are using....one Kingston DIMM, and one Samsung DIMM? And you want to add old Seagate IDE drives to it? And "320 gig should be more than enough"?

Sir, are you sure FreeNAS is the appropriate product for your needs?
It seems a bit overkilly, but it's hard to beat when it comes to data integrity. Let's be honest, there's much, much worse out there...

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Everything about this build scares me.

The CPU looks mega-over-kill, the motherboard is modern and recommended, and yet the customer is speaking of 160GB Seagate IDE drives, and mixing RAM DIMMs.

Instead of trying to buy an IDE/PATA controller to spin up old ass 160GB Seagates, if the customer can afford a Xeon (for God's sake) and an X10SLM, can he not afford two 1TB WD reds for $50 apiece, to achieve whatever he was going to achieve with Seagates from the Bill Clinton administration, with a safety factor of 20x what he was about to do, at a power consumption of 1/5th of what he was about to do, to say nothing of the wasted expense of buying an IDE controller?

Whenever there is weirdness of this type, long experience tells me to fear for the customer's data in FreeNAS.

heck

Cadet
Hi there,

forgot to update the signature :)
3 WDReds are available.
I've got the Seagates laying around ... not sure what to do with them - so i asked the community.
The processor and the mb was from a virtual machine ... the 8gig Kinston memory also.
After writing several mails to the kingston support trying to get an info if the discontinued memory would work with there newer ones, I just got p***ed off and switched to Samsung.
I ordered 3 Samsung sticks but found out that its possible to combining different brands would be possible. Got the first stick and put it in with the kingson ... worked.
Read not to put different brands on the same channel an canceled the trade for the other samsung sticks.

And yes i think FreeNAS will (!) be my prefered setup for storing data. I don't like things out of a box everyone has got.
Don´t get me wrong. I was just trying to use some old hardware. If its not recommendet or waste of time/money then i'll discard them.

I would take the Seagate drives and toss them in an old computer and give it to someone who has kids and either no computer or one they don't want the kids to use. A copy of linux with a bunch of learning games and the kids will be happy and better off later on since they will know something other than WinDoze. An eight year old could care less about the speed of it for the most part, you can't imagine the gleam in a child's eyes when they get their own computer especially when the family normally wouldn't be able to afford it.

On the rest of the build I will just shake my head and move on.

heck

Cadet

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
SUPERMICRO X10SLM-F = approved
Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 = approved
3x WD30EFRX = approved
16Gig RAM 1xKVR16LE11/8EF 1x M391B1G73QH0-YK0 = mixing of RAM not recommended, see Crucial Memory finder or check SM QVL list
Chenbro RM42300 = no opinion
be quiet! PurePower L8-300W = I wouldn't go with this one, recommend FSP or Seasonic

On top of the Kingston ram has basically become the red headed stepchild of the server world. They reused part numbers on different memory modules that are not compatible. That is one of the reasons why you do not see their parts listed on most server manufacturer's verified lists.

TheKiwi

Explorer
His system has a non-optimal RAM configuration, but they are on separate channels so it should work fine. If they wanted to have issues, it's more likely that they would just refuse to work together completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.