Using a slice for ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

divB

Dabbler
Hi,

As far as I've seen, FreeNAS only uses whole disks.

In my configuration, I have 4 SATA slots and 3x2TB and 1x3TB.

How can I divide the 3TB into 1x2TB and 1x1TB slice? I would then want to use a 4x2TB RAIDz1 and 1TB non-redundant space.

The non-redundant 1TB space would be used to backup Linux VServers which are already on a RAID1 on the main server and additionally mirrored on a backup server.

Regards,
divB

divB

Dabbler
I am afraid I posted to the wrong forum (maybe that's the reason for no answer). I tried to move/delete and recreate the post but no permissions. Maybe a moderator can move the thread?

In any case, the ability would be critical for my current decision between Debian and FreeNAS: Using whole disks is extremely unflexible.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's my experience with dual partitions. I experimented with a 1TB disk that had a 500GB NTFS partition already created. When I tried to create the ZFS array with that drive the 500GB partition remained.

Armed with this knowledge you should be able to create your other partitions first, then go setup the ZFS array.

Aside from this, there's no "easy" way to do that from the GUI. If you are a command line wiz you could probably create the ZFS array first, then export it, then create your other partitions, then import it in the GUI to make the GUI aware of the zpool. The reason for exporting and importing is because the GUI doesn't recognize zpools that aren't created using the GUI or imported using the GUI. I could be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.