User id 501, different permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcescalante

Cadet
I have a FreeNAS installation that some people are connecting to without credentials, and others are.

Some files that are being created and saved onto the different Shares are showing up as owned by userid "501", but I cannot find that ID in the system. The permissions on this file are also 533 or something like that

"id 501" returns nothing, and neither does cat /etc/passwd or cat /etc/passwd | grep 501.

Do I need to set the umask in /etc/profile? What's up with the user being 501. Default user?

D

dlavigne

It sounds like the user was created (or imported) on the client side. FreeNAS users start at 1001, unless you specifically change the UID when creating the user.

mcescalante

Cadet
Yeah, that sounds about right to me too. In theory, the nfs share config (in /etc/exports) should help as well, but the setup seems correct.

I tried using setfacl, but unfortunately there is not particularly a good way to recursively setfacl, which makes me believe I should seek another solution (yes, I could use a find -name exec {} etc.) but I think that that would not really help. I also tried setting the default users umask, but the permissions on creation aren't even 755 (mask was 022), so I don't think the umask was the problem in the first place.

Not really sure where to look, and there isn't a terrible amount of information about client-side uid creation, although it sounds like that is what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.