User Feedback Needed for Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhumm2

Explorer
As a Linux user (Kubuntu 14.04), any time I make a change to my system I know that if it needs a reboot to implement the new changes, it will prompt me to do so, otherwise, I'm good to continue doing whatever it is I'm doing. And I also know that such prompts are many fewer in Linux than in windows systems. The only time Linux needs to reboot is for kernel updates and such. Most package installs do not require reboots.

It would be a good feature I think, if FreeNAS would do the same. I've been making changes to the system without getting the desired results, then I get frustrated and shut it down. The next day I boot up and the OS is doing what I wanted it to do; it apparently just needed a reboot, but it never prompted me to do so.

I suggest having a REBOOT banner in dark yellow display under the area that LOADING displays when a reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect. That way, the user can make the choice to reboot then or reboot later when all the changes are made.

If this idea is flawed in any way, please explain why so I can learn FreeNAS more quickly. I'm open to feedback and constructive criticism. Thank you.

D

dlavigne

The only time a FreeNAS system needs a reboot is when you update it, and it automatically does this for you. Curious as to what type of changes you're making that you think need a reboot in order to happen...

mhumm2

Explorer
I'm making changes and trying my best to set up the NAS using the GUI interface. I'll change the properties of a dataset, user account, group, permissions, etc. Then, from a client computer I get the same behavior from the NAS as if I never made the changes. Then, once I reboot the NAS, from the GUI or shutdown for the day and startup the next, the NAS behavior, from the client machine, is different and acting on the changes I made during the last session.

D

dlavigne

I'm assuming this is a CIFS share? Logging in and out of the Windows system should let it see the changes.

diedrichg

Wizard
@mhumm2 feature requests need to be made through bugs.freenas.org When finished, post the feature request URL in this thread. The developers do no monitor this forum community.

D

dlavigne

Note that this feature request isn't needed, it's a configuration error/misunderstanding.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The only time I have ever needed to reboot is for updates. You have something wrong with your system

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Configuration changes never need a reboot. Only when you update to a new version of freenas do you need to reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.