Used HDDs - how to Check and prepare them for Truenas core/scale

no2a

Cadet
My Situation:
Currently I am running no productive Truenas installation. I plan to virtualize Truenas Scale on my Proxmox host.
I have a dedicated HBA that will get passed through to the Truenas VM. The Host has enough RAM and CPU Power, I probably will start with 6 Cores and 64 GB ECC RAM (exclusively for the Truenas VM).
I figured out, the best Balance for me between "Price to Storage ratio", performance and redundancy is 6 HDDs in a RAID-Z2 configuration.

Now the catch: I plan to use used HDDs, because I have them spare and currently I do not need more Storage. I plan to expand the Pool with Time.
Every time a drive will break i will replace it with a bigger one. I know, that the usable capacity of all disks will be the capacity of the smallest disk in the array.

The 6 HDDs are all 3.5" WD Red with 3 TB, the age and power on Hours vary from Disk to Disk, because some were used in different systems.
But actually, I think this is a good thing, because it makes it less likely, that more than two drives fail at the same time.

I Know many people do not like to use used HDDs, I can understand that, am fully aware of the risks and I know about the importance of a good Backup solution.

Now to the Real question:
Before I use the HDDs in my productive environment, I want to test them and prepare them as good as possible for the Truenas System.
I do not want to test if the Drives are in perfect condition, I know they are not! I am also fine with one Drive likely to die soon, because of redundancy and Backup, I just want to be prepared as good as I can be.

As far as I know there are multiple tests that will delete all Data on the Disks, for example any type of write test, so I have to test everything before I use them in my NAS.
And before that I also want to update the Firmware (if available) of all the Hard Drives, should I do that before all the Tests, or after that?

I have the option to connect a single or multiple Drives to a machine with any OS (Linux, Windows, Parted Magic,...) and let it run for Days if needed.
I want to gather all helpful information about used Hard Drives in this Thread.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, it is not my native language, but I hope all informations are clear.

Thanks in advance for any contributions!

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can do the testing under TrueNAS itself; I'd suggest the same regimen I use on new disks--long SMART test and a run through badblocks. See:

Redcoat

MVP
Something else that will be worth checking - to see if any of your drives are SMR drives - please see this resource https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/ for more information and data to allow you to check your drives.

Several versions of WD Reds at 4TB and smaller capacity were key "bad actors" as the SMR vs CMR problem awareness increased, most likely because these drives were widely used by forum members here based on their pre-SMR-based track record.