Use FreeNAS VM (Docker Host) or a dedicated Pi (8 GB RAM)

Papillon

Dabbler
Hello,

I want to run some Docker containers.

I heard on many posts that bhyve is at least very unstable. And my FreeNAS server has just 8 GB of RAM.

Is it safe to use Docker Host VM (with a dedicated SSD) or I would have less issues running a Raspberry Pi for that ?

Thanks!

simplextech

Cadet
Hello,

I want to run some Docker containers.

I heard on many posts that bhyve is at least very unstable. And my FreeNAS server has just 8 GB of RAM.

Is it safe to use Docker Host VM (with a dedicated SSD) or I would have less issues running a Raspberry Pi for that ?

Thanks!

With that little amount of RAM I would be careful and myself wouldn't recommend it. Go with another box for playing around with containers.

Papillon

Dabbler
With that little amount of RAM I would be careful and myself wouldn't recommend it. Go with another box for playing around with containers.
And if I add 8 GB of RAM ?
The CPU is an AMD Ryzen, an overkill for FreeNAS CPU usage

simplextech

Cadet
And if I add 8 GB of RAM ?
The CPU is an AMD Ryzen, an overkill for FreeNAS CPU usage
It's one of those "it depends" answers. As with most things it depends on what you're intending to run and resource usage of the containers + ZFS memory use.

Dunno... I'm adding 16G to my play box.

Papillon

Dabbler
I see... The few docker containers doesn't require much perfs (HomeAssistant, MQTT broker and some other stuff). Thanks for your answer!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you just need HomeAssistant and an MQTT broker, there are jails for that which can probably run under the 8GB you have.

Those 2 things will also run perfectly in the Home Assistant Core build available for a Pi.

If the "other stuff" includes things that will want more processing power (like Plex), then add more RAM, but still consider jails instead if doing it on the FreeNAS box (at least until TrueNAS SCALE is out).

Papillon

Dabbler
If you just need HomeAssistant and an MQTT broker, there are jails for that which can probably run under the 8GB you have.

Those 2 things will also run perfectly in the Home Assistant Core build available for a Pi.

If the "other stuff" includes things that will want more processing power (like Plex), then add more RAM, but still consider jails instead if doing it on the FreeNAS box (at least until TrueNAS SCALE is out).

The other stuff will include planning (todo) and other ultra light softs

Actually, both runs inside jails but are extremely slow (they have a dedicated pool on a USB 3.0 drive), even minimal operations like ls on a 10 text-files directory or cat of a 3-lines config file takes at least 10sec. I've already posted here for that but no answer so I decided to stop using freenas jails and migrate to Docker containers on a SSD (and also my planning soft doesn't work on FreeBSD, only Docker container)

What do you mean by "FreeNAS box" ? Virtual Machine ?

sretalla