Use FreeNAS to Upgrade Plex, or Let Plex Do It Itself . . .

madmac

Cadet
Team:

VERY happy with my FreeNAS setup. In addition to FileShareing, I'm running the bhyve Virtualization and the Plex plug-in. All very nice . . .

Question: When I start the Plex UI and get connected to the Plex Web-Site, it wants me to upgrade from the version included in my FreeNas 11.1-RELEASE system, 1.10.1.4602, to 1.12.1.4885.

Should I just Upgrade FreeNAS? And let it upgrade Plex along with it? Does it? Or is upgrading Plex something I need to do within the Plex application itself?

Just asking for best practices . . .

kdragon75

Wizard
Updating FreeNAS will not upgrade Plex. The Plex plugin is always outdated. the plugin is only going to get you 1.10.1.4602 until someone updates the plugin (not going to be me). There are a number of bigger bug that have been fixed since 1.10.1.4602 and that's why I scraped the plugin and build the Jail from scratch (not as hard as it sounds). I installed the package from Plex and can update anytime an update is released.

I would strongly advise moving away from the FreeNAS plugins and the whole plugin system may be abandoned shortly. Jails are not hard to work with and setup whatever packages you need.

pschatz100

Guru
The update schedule for plugins is not tied to the update schedule of FreeNAS, so updating one has no effect on the other. I hope this makes sense.

You cannot just update a plugin manually. If you are using the Plex plugin, then check the list of plugins from time to time to see if a new version has been made available. The plugins are not updated as often as Plex updates are released, so don't be surprised if the plugin is one or two updates behind.

Unless you are using the latest features of Plex (most people don't) then it doesn't really matter if you are one or two releases behind. When you get the notice that an update is released, check the release notes to see if there is something in there that matters to you.

If you want to stay current with the latest versions of Plex, then you will have to create a jail and install Plex yourself, manually - that way, you can check for updates whenever you want. It is not incredibly difficult to do this, but it is more work than just using the plugin and will require some familiarity with the Shell and the command line.

kdragon75

Wizard
don't be surprised if the plugin is one or two updates behind.
It's more like 4 to 8 releases behind. That's why I just built my own jail.
it is more work than just using the plugin and will require some familiarity with the Shell and the command line.
Yeah this is definitely true but it's a good way to get your toes wet and start learning.