USB - SYNCHRONIZE CACHE - kernel error

Status
Not open for further replies.

pie3

Cadet
Hey there,

So I've been experiencing alot of this in my status window:

Jul 18 07:24:59 nas kernel: (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SYNCHRONIZE CACHE(10). CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Jul 18 07:24:59 nas kernel: (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
Jul 18 07:24:59 nas kernel: (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
Jul 18 07:24:59 nas kernel: (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:26,0 (Invalid field in parameter list)

Note: da1 - is a USB-stick that's plugged into my freenas, formated with ZFS.

What I figured out so far:
It's a problem with usb-devices claiming they can do something they actually cann't (rumor) and due to this FreeBSD is doing some nasty stuff with it. From what I gathered, it will unmount or stop the device at random intervalls, for me, it resulted in partially corrupted files (FreeNAS was blinking yellow'ly) and renders the whole storage useless.

Apparently there's a "patch" for this ( http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=132799 ), that skips this feature altogether, but requires editing sources and recompiling the whole kernel etc., not very userfriendly and I don't know how much wrong I can do fiddling around with these things. - Not having best feelings with this.

What's even more interesting for me is that, "PEOPLE" say, again, its due to a "bad" usb-stick, but my FreeNAs is running off the exact same usb-stick "product". (I literally bought two of the same and apparently it can boot off one of them without giving synchronize_cache errors but inside FreeNAS the other one doesn't work).

I've searched in FreeNAS boards for this, but didn't really get anything useful.
Any tips or hints?

Would anyone with some insight advice me to "apply" this "patch"?

Thanks for any replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.