USB no boot after system shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptera

Explorer
Using a server built to recommended specs, I configured everything, set the new ip address from the console for where the system would be remotely installed and selected the console option to shut down system.
The shutdown process started and got to the point where it unmounted the USB drive that freenas boots from and hung. Thought that was weird but took it to he remote site anyways. Plugged it in there and it did not load. Went back with keyboard and monitor and the screen said something to the effect "This is a NAS storage drive and can not boot. System Halted."
So my guess is the USB got corrupted by the improper shutdown.
The USB drive is the only device that the BIOS is configured to boot from.
Tried to reload the image file but can not because even though my system recognizes the physical device it does not show up in explorer or as an option in Win32 DiskImager.
Should I report this as a bug?

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Two things:

Some Windows versions won't show a device in win32diskimager if there isn't a formatted partition that is compatible with Windows. So you may need to delete the partitions on the USB stick, format it to something windows can use, then use win32diskimager.

If your USB stick is indeed broken it won't show up in win32disk imager.

This definitely isn't a bug we can solve as you can't even reinstall our software. So something with Windows or your USB stick is at fault.

Ptera

Explorer
The bug I am referring to is the first part.
Using a server built to recommended specs, I configured everything, set the new ip address from the console for where the system would be remotely installed and selected the console option to shut down system.
The shutdown process started and got to the point where it unmounted the USB drive that freenas boots from and hung. Thought that was weird but took it to he remote site anyways. Plugged it in there and it did not load. Went back with keyboard and monitor and the screen said something to the effect "This is a NAS storage drive and can not boot. System Halted."
So my guess is the USB got corrupted by the improper shutdown.

jim7105

Cadet
After finally getting freenas to boot up I mounted the hard drive which ment that I had to formats the HD then shut down the system to move it to it correct location but after powering back up it gave me the NAS storage drive and can not boot. System Halted." Error so I started all over again by formating the flash drive and booting from a CD and after waiting 30 minutes to complete the process it said install was successful but I still get the above error after the reboot I have my CMOS set up to boot from a USB flash drive but I still get the error can someone tell me an way to correct this I even tried installing an IMG on the flash drive with 32 disk manager and booting from that with no change what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.