USB Hard Drive Dock with ZFS/TrueNAS (Sabrent DS-UCTB)

Dopamin3

Dabbler
I saw Sabrent is selling a 10 bay USB type C docking station (DS-UCTB). It says "NOTE: This multi-bay station does NOT have built in RAID functionality. However, software RAID configurations are possible."

Would this work properly for creating a zpool of drives? From my understanding ZFS needs direct access to the drives (like an HBA flashed in IT mode) and access to the S.M.A.R.T. data. I'm doubting this will happen based on this post on the forums but just wanted to see if there was any newer information.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's probably using a SATA port multiplier, so this would apply:

I doubt that will satisfy anyone, but it's most likely the right answer.

mervincm

Contributor
I would guess the USB connection hides any of the SATA peculiarities. That would all be done in the enclosure hardware. I had a 4 bay USB2 era similar device And if I recall, it was seen as a USB hub and usb attached drives to it. That said, other than for testing / curiosity, I wouldn’t be investing in such tech when so many known trusted stable options exist.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would guess the USB connection hides any of the SATA peculiarities. That would all be done in the enclosure hardware. I had a 4 bay USB2 era similar device And if I recall, it was seen as a USB hub and usb attached drives to it
If that were to be true, there would need to be a full SATA controller chip for each of the 10 disk bays... I don't think so.

As you say, that device shouldn't be connected to ZFS if folks care about the data it would be storing.

EDIT: looking at this: https://sabrent.com/products/DS-UCTB

I see mention of 10 separate ON/OFF power switches, so maybe I'll eat my words and somebody has actually put 10 SATA to USB controllers in that box (maybe why it's $600)... still a terrible Idea for ZFS, maybe more-so with the power buttons as they are.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
hides any of the SATA peculiarities.

Huh? What are "SATA peculiarities", aside from, well, y'know, being SATA sucky?

I see mention of 10 separate ON/OFF power switches,

Yes, Sabrent is kind of well known for this sort of thing. I think I have an earlier version of the HB-BU10 on one of the PC's in my office. I like it quite a bit except that I rarely use the switches... great for device charging though.

You can see the power buttons along the lefthand side. This could be because either they failed to pop for the correct SATA drive connectors that allow for hotswap, and/or they expect the hobbyists who are using these to be careless about drive insertions and removals.

so maybe I'll eat my words and somebody has actually put 10 SATA to USB controllers in that box (maybe why it's $600).

There's no particular reason to expect this is true.

I wonder if I could talk them out of one for evaluation purposes. The problem is that every time I do that, I end up with a bit of hardware I'm not too fond of, eating up space on the inventory shelving.

There will always be some evil associated with USB attached HDD's. However, if you really wanted to create a NAS using a small NUC-like device, for tight space deployment, it would be fantastic if these things actually worked correctly, giving the proper serial numbers, not randomly detaching under load.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's also going to come down to SATA III speeds of 6Gbits (x10) not really going too well together with only 10Gbits of bandwidth via USB-C.

I can only imagine the disaster a SCRUB would cause on a pool of 10 disks attached via that unit.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's also going to come down to SATA III speeds of 6Gbits (x10) not really going too well together with only 10Gbits of bandwidth via USB-C.

Except that hard drives really don't exceed about 2-3Gbits/sec, and that's only if you get fully sequential runs of blocks. ZFS is a CoW filesystem, so fragmentation tends to prevent the worst case scenarios here. I definitely tackle this argument when people propose to attach disks via iSCSI or FC to their TrueNAS (yes it happens) but 10Gbps for 10 disks is more promising than 1 or 2Gbps for 24 disks.

Etorix

Wizard
Even at the "end-of-year" sale price of $500, I struggle to find a valid reason why one would want this USB-C enclosure rather than a SAS expansion chassis.

sretalla