USB card not recognised

ThisTruenasUser

Dabbler
Hi all
I have an old machine I use as a backup.
Specs are:
CPU: i7-3770k 1Memory 16GB DDR3 Motherboard: Z77_D3H MVP
On there some drives for storage with cifs shares setup and working.

I also have a Virtual Machine (Ubuntu Linux) I use to copy from the cifs shares to external drives (ext4), attached through USB passthrough.
It does not have enough USB 3.0 ports so I got a cheap USB card on ebay.
The onboard USB ones can.
The card is not apparently working in truenas scale, so cannot use it to pass through to the virtual machine.

I did ssh into the machine and the output of lspci:
01:00.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VL805 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 01)

It is connected to the GPU pcie lane, so directly to the CPU deliberately.

How is this remedied?

it is a cheap card & not worth my time sending it back. I would prefer solution.

Thanks

Fleshmauler

Explorer
From my experience it wouldn't matter if Scale doesn't have the device working if it is listed in lspci - you should be able to simply pass it through as a PCIE device by going to Virtualization, going to your VM, Devices, add, PCI Passthrough Device, putting '01:00.0' into the 2nd field. That is of course if you have VT-d enabled (and supported) in bios. Once passed through you could simply install the drivers for the device on your VM.

What does
dmesg | grep -i -e "DMAR" -e "IOMMU"
output for you?

Last edited:

ThisTruenasUser

Dabbler
From my experience it wouldn't matter if Scare doesn't have the device working if it is listed in lspci - you should be able to simply pass it through as a PCIE device by going to Virtualization, going to your VM, Devices, add, PCI Passthrough Device, putting '01:00.0' into the 2nd field. That is of course if you have VT-d enabled (and supported) in bios. Once passed through you could simply install the drivers for the device on your VM.

What does
dmesg | grep -i -e "DMAR" -e "IOMMU"
output for you?

IOMMU is not supported on the CPU & not changing it out.
I think it is a linux driver related issue anyway. There are many posts about in in ubuntu forums.
I did not know the specific chip it uses until it was in the machine.
It was very cheap for a reason it seems.
It means I run less backups to external drives at a time, on that machine.