USB Boot Failure: mountroot Where to start?

captclearleft

Dabbler
Hello,
I have read through all the different "mountroot" issues. The solutions that I read suggest that the boot order is incorrect. I dont think that is my issue.
Can someone look at this image and steer me in the right direction. Thanks so much (The "Samsung" is the boot usb.)

IMG_20191027_112301435.jpg

D

dlavigne

Is this on a fresh install or a previously working system?

FreeNAS version?

System specs?

captclearleft

Dabbler
Thank you for asking - great questions.

This is an existing installation (been working since 2017). It may have experienced a power failure (not sure).
I believe it is 9.10.2 U6
Intel 64bit cpu, MSI board, Not sure what else.

D

dlavigne

It looks like the boot device died. Try installing the same version to a new USB stick. If it boots, you can restore a saved copy of your config.

captclearleft

Dabbler
I was thinking that was going to be the solution. I am looking for a tutorial on this???

So this morning:
-- Downloaded 9.10.2 u6 iso (http://archive.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/9.10.2-U6/x64/ )
-- Used Etcher to install said iso to usb
-- Install USB to Nas machine , boot.
-- Took a little bios manipulation to get the machine to boot to the USB and not the EFI card.
-- Now - I cant seem to get FreeNas installer to see the USB drive in the installation menu.
-- Upon initial boot of the machine - I have one option - "Install FreeNas"
-- Then it wants me to select where to install FreeNas. The only options are all the other drives (existing hard drives).
-- At this point - I think I need another USB to install to the other USB... I think I remember something about having to have 2 usb's.

I will post if I get any farther today.

1kokies

Contributor
At this point - I think I need another USB to install to the other USB... I think I remember something about having to have 2 usb's.
chipping in-yes you need 2 USB, the installer and another USB to install on. You can plug in while in the installation screen and the screen will prompt

Glorious1

Guru
Or if your board has IPMI/KVM, you can just install remotely with a virtual disk, directly from the iso file.

captclearleft

Dabbler
Ok, so I tried the two USB's that worked (and is documented)... Should have seen that first.
I got the freeNas to install (I selected the UEFI option as that is the type of MOBO I have) - however Now I am getting this:

IMG_20191028_115157357.jpg

captclearleft

Dabbler
After reading other threads on the "getty repeating too quickly on port..."
I tried resetting the bios - That did nothing.
I also tried to log in with alt+f2 , but the login: "root" and password : "freenas" do not satisfy the login (I tried the one I created, and other options)

1kokies

Contributor
did it boot despite that ? there are whole loads of text in the process

1kokies

Contributor
I tried resetting the bios - That did nothing.
for a UEFI to boot properly in bios enable CSM (there are then drop downs to further list type ie pcie, storage etc, enable UEFI and Legacy) + in secure boot opt for other OS.

1kokies

Contributor
I also tried to log in with alt+f2 , but the login: "root" and password : "freenas" do not satisfy the login (I tried the one I created, and other options)
assuming it booted and reached the options 1-11 (or 12, could not recall) you need to change the Network IP to a fixed one, then go to that IP via browser and your log in page will appear.

1kokies

Contributor
ok we need details and process ya, firstly in communications. Try to give as may details as possible, steps & also your hardware specs. And let's post with more details. Win-win ok.

9.10 U6 is pretty long ago, but i assume it is the same as 11.1 U5 which is where i started from. If it's still hanging at that screen

1. USB faulty
2. Installation process faulty in which may need to repeat the whole process again
3. At this stage try to re boot and see if it's still hangs

1kokies

Contributor
Ok, ill go and try to find that in the UEFI BIOS... stby
would be great if can show a quoted reply like this.

In bios depending on manufacturer there will be different versions but they will have normally under 'Advance'
1. CSM-for UEFI mobo, in the event the boot or any device is legacy, the OS will be able to 'read' it.
2. Secure Boot-for UEFI is leaned towards a Windows OS, supposedly for security
3. Therefore there is an option 'Other OS' in bios as this is not a Windows OS

will be around for next hour or so, it will boot except for if it is a hardware faulty or perhaps 9.10 U6 i have not tried it before

captclearleft

Dabbler
Thank You -
Yes - Agreed - Im trying.
I listed everything I have done starting at post #5 in order. (and all the hardware I know of as of now [post #3]. I need to find more specs) Thanks - Greatly appreciate the help.

I don't have a "CSM" setting in the MSI UEFI Bios. I have UEFI+Legacy enabled, and USB legacy enabled in two spots in the bios. I even tried booting in just UEFI only... No help.

I think I will reinstall, and select "bios" install, and not "UEFI" install.
I will also try a different USB.
Thanks all for your help - GREATLY APPRECIATE !!!

captclearleft

Dabbler
would be great if can show a quoted reply like this.

In bios depending on manufacturer there will be different versions but they will have normally under 'Advance'
1. CSM-for UEFI mobo, in the event the boot or any device is legacy, the OS will be able to 'read' it.
2. Secure Boot-for UEFI is leaned towards a Windows OS, supposedly for security
3. Therefore there is an option 'Other OS' in bios as this is not a Windows OS

will be around for next hour or so, it will boot except for if it is a hardware faulty or perhaps 9.10 U6 i have not tried it before

Thank You - It never finishes booting. It hangs there :(

1kokies

Contributor
Thank You -
Yes - Agreed - Im trying.
I listed everything I have done starting at post #5 in order. (and all the hardware I know of as of now [post #3]. I need to find more specs) Thanks - Greatly appreciate the help.
you can click thanks for that

I don't have a "CSM" setting in the MSI UEFI Bios. I have UEFI+Legacy enabled, and USB legacy enabled in two spots in the bios. I even tried booting in just UEFI only... No help.
yes that is good enough but still need to do that secure boot to 'other OS'

I think I will reinstall, and select "bios" install, and not "UEFI" install.
I will also try a different USB.
Thanks all for your help - GREATLY APPRECIATE !!!
ok here are the steps

1. i use Rufus, when you in boot selection choose 'disk or ISO selection IF Bios legacy. Choose UEFI:NTFS if UEFI. Now if ISO before 11.2 U6, there is any option pop up to write in ISO or DD more, and if it is a UEFI mobo, DD is better
2. For the target disk it is very important that the USB is free of any leftover partitions. Use diskpart with the Clean command
2. An additional step that i would do is to change the partition scheme of the target USB to GPT, use diskpart in CLI.
3. From there after alternating mobo Bios for CSM, Secure boot for Other OS, choose the boot medium as first boot or override boot, it should install as normal to the target USB
4. After install if it is still giving errors it is just a a matter of alternating the settings at Bios

It should work

captclearleft

Dabbler
Ok, well - I found a bios setting for "Win 8/8.1 Support" = enable/diable - tried both . no change. Tried secure boot enabled, and disabled.
No change.
I will reinstall tomorrow.
Thanks so much