USB Boot Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Cadet
I am new here and pretty much a noob. I need some help

I started getting a warning "The capacity for the volume 'freenas-boot' is currently at 91%, while the recommended value is below 80%." I run FreeNAS 9.3 and the USB boot disk is 4 GB.

I promptly bought a new 16 GB USB disk and I successfully set it up as a mirror of the boot disk. Now I need a bit of help - can I simply remove the 4GB disk and replace it with 16 GB disk? How do I then stop mirroring the boot disk?

Or should I simply do a clean install on the 16 GB disk and load the saved setup?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Best bet is just to do a clean install to the 16GB and upload your config. I don't believe the autoexpand property is set by default on the boot pool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Best bet is just to do a clean install to the 16GB and upload your config. I don't believe the autoexpand property is set by default on the boot pool.
That's what I've heard, as well.

Expansion is currently only supported through a clean install.

Just backup the config and install the same version you had running and upload the config. Everything should be as you left it.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Make sure you have copies of any GELI keys if your disks are encrypted. (Do those get backed up?)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Make sure you have copies of any GELI keys if your disks are encrypted. (Do those get backed up?)
They were supposed to after an update a few months back, but I'm not sure what the current status is.

Gandalf

Cadet
Thanks for the advice! I did a clean install and it was pretty straight forward. Everything working well.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
By the way, the only reason you filled up your 4GB boot device was because you didn't delete any old boot environments after upgrading. The same thing will happen to your 16GB stick if you don't maintain it.

I'm running a 4GB boot device and it's never close to full, because I only keep one previous known good boot environment on it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
By the way, the only reason you filled up your 4GB boot device was because you didn't delete any old boot environments after upgrading. The same thing will happen to your 16GB stick if you don't maintain it.

I'm running a 4GB boot device and it's never close to full, because I only keep one previous known good boot environment on it.

Compression really reduced the storage requirements for craploads of environments. With nearly every update since early February snapshotted, my 16GB boot pool is still well under 50%.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Compression really reduced the storage requirements for craploads of environments. With nearly every update since early February snapshotted, my 16GB boot pool is still well under 50%.

Yeah, except you can't boot from compressed zpools. So I have no clue why you are even mentioning this...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, except you can't boot from compressed zpools. So I have no clue why you are even mentioning this...
Wha? I could swear compression had recently been enabled. Did I imagine that?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.