USB 3 - One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kens

Cadet
Hi All,

New to forum and to FreeNAS but been using Linux for 10+ years. Just built a FreeNAS system with the following

- Gigabyte Z77-DS3H - with a USB3 controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
- 8 GB Ram
- 3x 1TB Sata as a raidz1

- 3TB Toshiba USB3 external disk

I've created a separate volume on the USB disk and was in the process of sending a snapshot of the main file system to the USB when the I/O errors occurred. I have had that disk working fine connected via USB2 to a Centos 6 system. I used the Centos system to remove the original NTFS file system and its been reformatted by FreeNAS as ZFS since.

I have had smartctl statistics from that disk earlier but the disk seems to have stopped communicating since then.

I have had issues with external USB3 drives with Windows systems in the past and I wonder if USB3 is not going to work with this hardware and I should swap the disk to a USB2 port. The system is remote so can't test that right away.

Am I on the right track or have I missed something else...

Thanks in advance

Ken

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
USB 3.0 vs 2.0 is unlikely to change anything on the server side.

My best guess is that the USB/SATA bridge crapped out - unsurprising, given the race to the bottom that is USB storage.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have had smartctl statistics from that disk earlier but the disk seems to have stopped communicating since then.
So you don't know if the drive failed, but you are making an assumption that it's the USB port? Do you have any indications that the failure is the USB port?

kens

Cadet
Thank you for the replies.

The external disk is new, but it may be an infant mortality issue. I'm keeping an open mind about what's failed. It could be several things. I'll know more when I go there next week.

I was wanting to check with this forum whether there were known issues with the driver etc for the Intel USB interface that's on that motherboard. I agree external USB drives can be flaky.

I'll give an update when I know more.

Thanks - Ken

berbox

Dabbler
Hi Ken,

I would be interested in how problems turned out with your USB-Drive. Having a similar issue - well - similar error here.

Thanks,
Bernd

Status
Not open for further replies.