One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully

Explorer
I woke up to a mess this morning... Last night, I was transferring about 1TB worth of data from one FreeNAS box to another FreeNAS box within my local home LAN. This morning when I checked the status of the transfer, I was blasted with numerous "SMART error (FailedOpenDevice) detected on host" emails.

I checked the zpool status, here's the screenshot (via an iPad, inroute to work). I tried restarting the box and unfortunately I now cannot SSH into the box, for whatever reason.

photo.PNG

Here are my questions.

1) What's the likelihood that 4x relatively brand (4 months old) new WD 2TB Greens would fail suddenly?
2) I'm using a eVGA 780i SLI mobo, which has two SATA buses, 2 port bus and a 4 port bus, is it possible that the 4 port sata bus failed and is dead? Reason behind my theory is that 2x drives are online and 4x are offline, make sense? (picture of the mobo im using below).

evga_lrg.jpg

I'll be able to confirm question 2 tonight when I can access the box and identify the drives, however, any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Sully

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Its unlikely that all 4 drives would fail at the same time. Does the SMART messages specifically call out 4 hard drives or just one? If it's calling out 4 hard drives as bad I'd think its an issue with the motherboard controller. You seem to have a grasp of what is likely going on. I'm thinking motherboard controller is failing/failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.