UPS recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I few weeks ago I stumbled across a recommendation somewhere on these forums for a small desktop UPS that play nicely with FreeNAS. Can't for the life of me find it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction please (or provide their own recommendation).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Almost any APC ups should work fine. They use a fairly standard means of communication with the server via a USB cable. The hard part (not that hard) is finding out what the port number is that it is plugged into.
You will want to stick to major name brands, for the driver support. I have APC myself and have not tried to get any other brand of UPS to work.

Almost any APC ups should work fine. They use a fairly standard means of communication with the server via a USB cable. The hard part (not that hard) is finding out what the port number is that it is plugged into.
You will want to stick to major name brands, for the driver support. I have APC myself and have not tried to get any other brand of UPS to work.

Thanks Chris. Yes, I was primarily concerned about driver support. I need the UPS to signal FreeNAS to gracefully shutdown if it has been on batteries for >=60secs. I want to be able to configure this stuff through the web GUI and have it just work...don't have the time to get into writing custom shell scripts etc.

This is my normal go-to for a desktop UPS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042F0JMS

Sounds like it should work OK.

Redcoat

MVP
I have both APC and Cyberpower - one of each on my networked FreeNAS boxes, several APC's on other systems. C-power seems to be less subject to flaky indications from internal firmware (several times experienced with the APC's, never so far - ~2 years - with Cyberpower). No problems with interfacing with FreeNAS in a master/slave configuration.

chris crude

Patron

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks Chris. Yes, I was primarily concerned about driver support. I need the UPS to signal FreeNAS to gracefully shutdown if it has been on batteries for >=60secs. I want to be able to configure this stuff through the web GUI and have it just work...don't have the time to get into writing custom shell scripts etc.

This is my normal go-to for a desktop UPS.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042F0JMS

Sounds like it should work OK.
On the Amazon page you linked to, if you scroll down, they show a 1500va version and the price is actually less than the one you mentioned.
That's the one I use and I have been happy with it. You should get a bit more running time to allow for the shutdown. The driver gives some options and I selected the option to shutdown when the battery is low. That's keeps the system from shutting down on a short power outage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have both APC and Cyberpower - one of each on my networked FreeNAS boxes, several APC's on other systems. C-power seems to be less subject to flaky indications from internal firmware (several times experienced with the APC's, never so far - ~2 years - with Cyberpower). No problems with interfacing with FreeNAS in a master/slave configuration.

Interesting. Never used CyberPower before but heard good things about them. Given that nobody in the country seems to have anything from the APC Pro range in stock for a reasonable price I may end up going with one of theirs instead.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.