UPS and SNMP - Bugs and Questions.

HJD

Dabbler
Hi guys,

New to FreeNAS, but a longtime Linux/FreeBSD/etc. user/admin/savant. I've been pretty impressed overall with FreeNAS...I built my system in the past couple of weeks and installed 11.2 RELEASE. For the most part (some quirks I'll call out in other threads) it works pretty well and have been extremely impressed with how much you can do with the GUI as well as the overall quality of the release.

On to UPS issues...

I have a couple of networked UPSs in my setup. I recognize that I can only list one in the UPS service settings page...however there is one definite bug I'd like to call out to the devs (will file a report on it), and one additional item I believe is a bug but would appreciate someone on the forum verifying / validating...

1. Definite bug - the UI incorrectly displays the "Port" entry line if you have a network UPS previously selected.

To recreate:

- Configure UPS settings.
- Select a network UPS card (e.g. Cyber Power Systems ups 3 RMCARD202 (snmp-ups))
- Save and return to the services page
- Click configure UPS settings again
- Behold "Port" has magically reappeared. To make it disappear, select another UPS card and then reselect the SNMP-enabled card you originally selected.

2. Potential bug - SNMPv3 support within NUT for UPSs seems to be incomplete.

Specifically - I run a more secure setup for SNMP...using SNMPv3 with authentication and privacy enabled (AuthPriv) using SHA and AES (versus the default MD5 and DES). I've validated that my setup is correct via snmpwalk and other tools on my network...so I know the UPS is setup correctly.

I've debugged this on my setup and the only option that will work for SNMPv3 is NoAuthNoPriv (no authentication and no privacy enabled)...which is obviously not optimal if you're trying to run more secure. :) When I've seen similar results in the past, it's been because the underlying Net-SNMP library was compiled without OpenSSL (or similar) support. From http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/docs/README.snmpv3.html:
Note: SHA authentication and DES/AES encryption support is only available
if you have OpenSSL installed or if you've compiled using
--with-openssl=internal. If you use --with-openssl=internal please
read the documentation in snmplib/openssl/README for important details.

Can someone verify this is indeed a bug? Happy to file a report on this as well but don't want to spam the devs unnecessarily. :)

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

If you haven't already, go ahead and create an issue at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.